When most people hear the words “vehicular accident” they automatically assume that it is involving two vehicles. Many do not consider there is the possibility to be a single car accident; a single car accident is one where one vehicle is there, generally running off the road, or colliding with something. Single vehicle accidents can be extremely dangerous. These accidents can cause a lot of injury, damages in many different ways, and also a lot of questions that answers are wanted for. One of the major questions that come up is if there is any recovery that can come from a single vehicle accident.
Often, when it is found that there has been a single vehicle accident it is automatically assumed whomever was driving at the time of the accident is at fault for said accident; this is not always the case. There may be different reasons that the accident occurred and is not always the case of the driver having poor driving habits. Some of the things that could cause there to be a single vehicle accident include the following:
- Bad Weather: When there is bad weather while you are driving it could lead to accidents. If weather conditions are the reason for your vehicle accident, you as the driver is not a fault.
- Defects in the Road: If you encounter a defect while on the road it could be the cause of a vehicle accident. You could lose control of your vehicle and that could lead to a crash. Some defects in the road include potholes, construction debris that could be left on the road, and even issues with seams. Whenever there is a road defect, the responsible party for the defect could be held liable.
- Defects with the Guardrail: The purpose of a guardrail is to keep vehicles from going over an embankment. If the rail that is there is defective, or if the rail has been damaged and not properly fixed there could be an injury resulted in by the person.
- Defects with Vehicle: You may have a defect with your vehicle and not know about it. There is the possibility to have a part in your vehicle that is malfunctioning. There could be malfunctioning brakes, tires, wipers, air bags, steering columns, and more that could lead to a dangerous situation with your vehicle.
- Another Vehicle: This may seem strange when discussing single vehicle accidents, but it does not mean there was a collision with another vehicle. Another driver could be to blame if they are driving too closely to you and force your vehicle off the road, or there could be an instance where a vehicle in front of you made a sudden stop and you had to make a defensive move in order to avoid hitting that vehicle. You may not have had contact with that vehicle, but they could still be at fault.
These are some instances that could lead to a single vehicle accident; the probing question is are you able to get any recovery when there is a single vehicle accident at hand.
It is important to note, there are different outcomes when you are looking at recovery for single vehicle accidents. Depending on what was the cause of the accident and also looking at where the recovery will come from may make a world of difference. The scenarios of what the cause was will determine if there is recovery that is gained for you in your single vehicle accident or if it is not gained.
Recovering Compensation in a Single-Vehicle Accident
When you are looking to find out if you can get any recovery for a single vehicle accident, the first step is to prove that you were not at fault. As your lawyer, we will need to do this for you. In Las Vegas, Nevada and under the law in the state of Nevada, if the driver is more than 50% to blame for the accident this will eliminate the possibility to obtain any recovery.
There is the opportunity to in fact obtain recovery in the instance of a single vehicle accident. To do this we will have to identify who or what is to blame for the accident that was at hand. Once that is done, we can then seek recovery from the party that caused this to happen.
For some that are looking for recovery in a single vehicle accident, it may be that the only compensation that is given would be to fix your vehicle. The coverage you may have may only be put into place to pay to have your vehicle fixed and nothing more. You may take on the thought that something is better than nothing, but if you have incurred medical bills or have had to deal with lost wages you may not be the happiest news to hear.
If we are able to identify someone to sue there will be more for us to work with. Even if the vehicle did not strike you, if they were the cause for you running off the road, we would make a claim with their insurer and so there could be recovery gained.
In the instance there was a defect in the road to blame for your accident, you may be able to sue the government agency that is held responsible for the road in question. In many cases this process can be a complicated one, and you want to make sure you have an experienced attorney working for you. Many automatically assume the government and the municipalities within the government are insusceptible from a suit, but if they are negligent in some way there is an exception for car accidents.
When looking at a single vehicle accident that has come from a defective guardrail or a defective part on your vehicle, then we as your lawyer can sue and seek recovery from the manufacturer. This is another case that would prove to be complex in almost all cases. In cases such as this, we would look to expert witnesses so they can identify the defects that are there; defects that may not be visible or apparent to the ordinary eye. A testimony from an expert is always necessary in cases such as these. It is difficult to win and gain recovery with this type of claim without a testimony from an expert.
What Should I Do After Being Involved in a Single-Vehicle Accident?
There are some essential things you can do to help when you have experienced a single vehicle accident; these things need to be done immediately following the wreck. Your doing this will help in getting success and the recovery you are looking for.
- You should get the names and information of any witnesses that were there when the accident occurred.
- Take pictures; if there were any road defects that were the cause of the accident you need to immediately get a picture. You do not want the defect to be fixed before the suit is done, so it is imperative to take pictures then and there.
- Take pictures of damages you have caused. If you have hit someone property or caused damage in any way, be sure to get pictures of that as well.
It is also a great idea to avoid getting your vehicle fixed if you feel the reason for the accident was brought on by a defective part on your vehicle. It is best if you have your attorney inspect your vehicle to see if there is anything wrong with it. Your attorney may bring in an expert to look things over and it could be a major step in your case. It would more than likely be best if you had your vehicle towed to a garage, especially if it is unsafe to drive. If you have to do this make sure the vehicle is not fixed prior to your legal case begins and is building; it could make or break the journey to getting recovery as you desire.
Being located in Las Vegas, it is imperative that we make sure we are keeping the laws in the state of Nevada in mind. In our state it is the law that motorists that have been in an accident reports it. This law is inclusive of accidents that are single vehicle accidents. Even though it is a single vehicle accident, it may still be considered a crime if you leave the scene of your accident. If you fail to report your single vehicle accident you could have your license suspended for one year in Las Vegas.
If you have found yourself in a single vehicle accident you should know that you have rights. You may be in a position that you are able to gain recovery for the accident, depending on the circumstances are. Everyone that experiences a single vehicle accident has a different circumstance. If you have been a single vehicle accident and need representation to see if you are able to receive recovery reach out to our firm. We have people on our team that is available to help you with what you need and to see if you are able to receive recovery from your single vehicle accident.
We, here at the Las Vegas office of Heidari Law Group, know what it takes to look into your single vehicle accident and are prepared to work tirelessly to do all we can to get the recovery you desire when you have been in a single vehicle accident. You may be entitled to recovery compensation and should want the best working for you to get what you desire. The experience team we have here are ready to help anyone that is dealing with a single vehicle accident and looking to find out what they can do in terms of compensation. We know the precise steps that are needed to and are ready to start working for you. Get in touch with an experienced car accident lawyer today and let us start this important journey with you. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.
***Disclaimer: This blog is created by Heidari Law Group for educational purposes. This article provides a general understanding of the law. It does not provide specific advice. By using this site and reading through this blog, there is no attorney-client relationship created between you and any member of Heidari Law. Further, due to the constant change of the law, some parts of the information above may no longer be good law.