Bicycle Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one were injured in or by a bicycle accident, then you may be able to recover compensation for the damages suffered. Get in touch with a bicycle accident lawyer at Heidari Law Group today.
Bicyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as motor vehicles when on the road. Bicycle accident lawyers often defend these rights for their clients. When car and bicycle accidents happen, cyclists are often more at risk as they don’t have the protective casing and safety of a vehicle. In fact, many bicycle and car accidents result in serious injuries or even death. In 2018, there were over 850 bicyclists killed in traffic accidents in the United States. It’s a driver’s responsibility to maintain safe road practices when driving near a cyclist, and failure to do so can have legal ramifications.
If you or someone you know has been in an accident, contact a bicycle accident attorney to better understand your rights and potential for compensation. Continue reading below for more information on the types of bicycle accidents and injuries that happen, and how a bicycle accident lawyer can help.
Types of Bicycle Accidents
There are a variety of bicycle accidents that are common and the fault of the motor vehicle driver. If you’ve been involved in a bicycle accident similar to the situations described below, you should contact a bicycle accident attorney:
- The motor vehicle driver was drunk or high
- A car door was opened without looking, right into the cyclist’s path
- A cyclist is side-swiped by a passing vehicle
- A cyclist is rear-ended by a car
- A car cuts off a bicycle when entering the roadway
- A vehicle turning left at an intersection, or through a gap in traffic, crashes into the cyclist
- A vehicle turning right cuts off someone cycling straight in a bike lane
- A car driver doesn’t pay attention to a cyclist’s signaling
- The motor vehicle runs a red light or a stop sign
Cyclists have the following types of vehicles to watch out for when sharing the road with others:
- Cars (Small to mid-size vehicles)
- Commercial semi-trucks
- Trucks pulling trailers
People in one of the mentioned vehicles above (except motorcycles) have safety features built into the vehicle such as airbags, seat belts and are enclosed in a safety shell that will collapse on impact. A cyclist does not have this type of safety built in and is at extreme risk for personal injury or death when an accident occurs.
There are instances when a cyclist has an accident and a motor vehicle isn’t involved. Some common examples are:
- The bike is faulty or wasn’t appropriately repaired
- The cyclist was biking on poor roads (could be the fault of the city)
- A crash with another cyclist or pedestrian
- An attack by an animal.
Even if a motor vehicle isn’t involved, if the accident is the fault of another party, you should speak with a bicycle accident attorney about your case.
Personal Injuries That Result From Bicycle Accidents
There are a variety of possible personal injuries that can result from bicycle accidents, ranging from minor to severe. Some of the most common bicycle injuries are:
- Soft tissue damage
- Broken bones
- Brain, renal, or small bowel, or large bowel contusion
- Facial, dental, skull, or rib fractures
- Lung injury
- Abdomen rupture
- Traumatic hernia
- Bodily dismemberment
Many of these injuries can be catastrophic to your way of living and can negatively impact your work, personal life and overall quality of life.
What to Do After a Bicycle Accident
There are specific steps you should take immediately after a bicycle accident to preserve the chances of winning a case.
- Make sure that you’re safe. Get out of harm’s way (off the road) and check for injuries.
- Call 9-1-1 to get police and an ambulance on the scene. Even if you don’t think you need medical attention, it’s best to have a professional look at you. Your body releases an adrenaline surge after an accident that can delay feelings of pain. At the moment, you might not be aware of a severe injury.
- If your accident involved another party, exchange information with them. Do not say statements that minimize your injuries (“I am okay”) or accept responsibility for the accident (“I should have been looking.”). Do not concede to attempts to negotiate with the other party. If the other person flees, take-down any information you can (license plate number, physical description, etc.).
- Once the police arrive on the scene, make sure you have a chance to report your version of the events to the officer. Having a police report to verify the accident helps your luck with a legal case afterward. Your bicycle accident attorney will be accessing this file if they believe you have a case.
- Even if you don’t go to the hospital after the accident, it’s essential to see a doctor shortly after. This doctor visit will help your legal case and any insurance claims.
- Keep records of anything related to your accident, including lost hours at work, medical bills and prescription costs, and non-economic damages.
- Never speak to the other party, their lawyer, or their insurance company.
- Consult with a bicycle accident lawyer to understand if you have a case.
Don’t be afraid to follow through these steps. It’s very important that you document everything when an accident occurs.
How a Bicycle Accident Lawyer Can Help
A bicycle accident lawyer will review your case details during your first consultation and let you know if you have an eligible case. You may seek compensation for a variety of damages, including:
- Economic damages: Medical bills, lost wage, and damaged property.
- Non-economic damages: Pain, suffering, and lowered quality of life
- Punitive damages: if the driver was incredibly irresponsible, the judge might deem punitive damages to be justifiable
You can discuss with your bicycle accident attorney will damages you should seek.
Factors That Disqualify a Bicycle Accident Lawsuit
There are situations when your bicycle accident lawyer will tell you that you’re not eligible for compensation, such as:
- You (the cyclist) were biking intoxicated or under the influence of drugs
- You were at fault
- You weren’t wearing a helmet and your injuries could’ve been prevented with proper protective equipment
- You admitted fault
- You accepted compensation already from the other party, either through them, their lawyer, or their insurance company
Heidari Law Group for Your Bicycle Attorney Needs
Heidari Law Group offers quality legal expertise for bicycle accidents across Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Irvine, and Sacramento. We offer free consultations, are available 24/7, and don’t collect any fees until we win your case. Heidari Law Group specializes in bicycle accidents, so we know what a case needs to win.
Many clients are surprised to find out they have a case when they thought otherwise. For example, accidents that occur in California fall under the state’s ‘comparative fault law.’ This law allows people injured in an accident to collect damages from the other party, even if the other party wasn’t entirely at fault.
Let us get you the compensation you deserve. Book your no-obligation, free consultation with us today by calling 1-833-225-5454 or booking an appointment online.