California Dog Bite Injury Lawyer
Dog Bites and Attacked by a Dog
California Dog Bite Attorney
Dog Bite Statistics
- Over 4,500,000 dog bites occur annually across the United States with hundreds of thousands requiring hospital care.
- Nearly 50% of dog bite victims are young kids.
- California sees some of the most dog attacks out of any state in the country and has seen the second most dog bite fatalities in America over the past 15 years.
- California is the national leader in the number of dog bite claims per year and sees the highest average payout per case.
- Los Angeles is regularly one of the top cities in America for the most dog attacks on postmen per year.
- In the last 15 years, Pit bulls have caused the majority of dog bite fatalities in the United States with Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Mixed-breeds, and American bulldogs being the next most deadly breeds.
California Dog Bite Laws
Even if a dog has no prior history of violence, California law allows for bite victims to receive compensation for being bitten by a dog based on factors of negligence and strict liability. If an owner is negligent in the way they handle animals, they can be sued if their dog bites someone when it is off the leash or if it is confined in a way where it can cause harm to those passing by.
California state law also states that “the owner of any dog is liable for the damages suffered by any person who is bitten.” In other words, every dog owner is responsible for the damage their dog causes regardless of whether their actions were negligent or not, but there are exceptions to this rule when the dog is provoked or the victim was trespassing. Compensation for damages can include: medical expenses, damage to property, emotional & physical suffering, loss of wages & lost earning potential, possible punitive damages, and loss of affection.
For the victim to have a case based on personal injury law, they must be able to prove three things:
- The dog that committed the attack was owned by the defendant.
- The victim was bitten while on public property or while on private property legally.
- The victim’s injuries were directly from the bite.
Common Injuries from Dog Bites
A Dog Bite (Dog Attack) can result in severe personal injuries that can require a visit to the hospital. Around 15%-25% of the people bitten by a dog require medical attention for their injuries.
A few examples of different types of Dog Bite injuries include:
- Skin Punctures, Lacerations, Abrasions;
- Bruises, Contusions;
- Broken Bones;
- Trauma (Psychological and Emotional);
- Permanent Disability;
- and Death.
It costs a victim an average of $18,000 per hospital stay as the result of a dog bite in America. There are also tens of thousands of victims who undergo reconstructive surgery after receiving a bite.
Contact an Experienced Team of Dog Bite Attorneys in California
If you or a loved one has been bitten by a dog in Los Angeles, you need a lawyer with years of experience with dog bite cases. Our team of persona injury attorneys at Heidari Law Group are here to help you recover the most for your claim. Give us a call at 1-833-225-5454 for a free consultation.