California Slip and Fall Lawyer
Have you been injured in a slip and fall accident in California or Nevada? contact our slip-and-fall injury lawyers today for a free consultation.
California Slip and Fall Attorney
Usually, slip and fall accidents could get very difficult when determining who the party at fault would be. That is why it is important to hire skilled slip and fall attorneys to determine the at-fault parties. The at fault parties are responsible for paying for the medical expenses that you have incurred. Slip and fall accidents, also known as trip and fall accidents, deal with a lot of premises liability law.
Slip and fall accidents could sometimes result in very severe injuries. These severe injuries may need several different types of medical treatments in order to treat the injury. According to the National Safety Council, the most common reason for emergency room visits is because of slip and falls. Slip and falls could occur virtually anywhere.
Slip and Fall Injuries
A few examples of slip and fall injury types include:
- Head Injuries (Brain injury) – This is the most common type of injury from a slip and fall, causing Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). A TBI may range from a small concussion to complement mental impairment.
- Broken Arm, Leg, Ankle – Slipping or tripping can cause a really bad fall ending with a broken ankle, leg, or arm. Older people are more likely to break their leg or arm in a slip and fall.
- Fractured Bones (Fractured Ankle) – Fractured ankles are common with slip and fall accidents. This is also common with older people when they have a slip and fall injury.
- Soft Tissue Injury (Torn ligament or sprained ankle/wrist) – If you don’t break a bone from a slip and fall, you might have a sprained ankle or torn ligament.
- Skin Injuries – Breaking the skin due to a slip and fall can happen if a sharp object cuts you or the pavement causes a tear.
- Back Injury and Spinal Cord Injury – Permanent back injuries can happen with a herniated disk injury, fractured vertebrae, or nerve damage. At least 25% of spinal cord injuries are caused by a slip and fall accident.
- Shoulder Injury – A dislocated shoulder or broken shoulder may have resulted from a slip and fall causing permanent damage. This may require surgery in order to recover.
How to Prove a Slip-and-fall Injury in California
In order to prove a slip-and-fall injury in California or Nevada, there are several different elements that the slip and fall attorneys must prove. These elements include:
- That there was a condition on the property that was dangerous
- The owner or possessor of the property new about that condition
- The owner had a reasonable amount of time to fix the condition of the property
- Then, the slip-and-fall injury attorney would have to prove that the owner failed to fix the condition of the property. Because they failed to fix the condition, this caused the victim to incur very serious injuries. It is very important to hire a skilled slip and fall attorney that is well-versed in slip-and-fall laws of your state. Each state may have different elements that the attorney will have to prove.
(Fictional) Example of a California Slip and Fall Injury Case:
At a crowded airport on a busy Friday afternoon, Thomas slips on water left on the floor in front of the airport coffee shop. The area was extremely wet, though not visible. There were many employees in the area, but nobody took the time to put a caution sign on the ground, nor clean up the spill. After looking and investigating the video footage, the spill had been there for a very long time, and none of the employees had done anything to correct it.
The airport management/owners are most likely to be held liable for Thomas’ fall. The reason why is because the fact that the spill had been on the ground for a long time and none of the employees had done anything to correct it. What should have been done is that their cleaning crew or an assigned “safety employee” should have done their respective rounds and looked for spills, helping prevent this type of accident. Since nobody did this, Thomas is now severely injured and will be out of work for the next 5 months due to a torn ACL and medial meniscus. This will also cost Thomas financial hardship due to not being able to work and will have medical bills that will need to be paid.
When Can I Sue After a Slip and Fall Accident?
Each state has a different time requirement as to when a plaintiff can sue for a slip and fall accident. Each state has their own statute of limitations that determine when the plaintiff must bring the claim. When the plaintiff brings the clean too late, they run the risk of having their case dismissed.
What is the Average Compensation in a Slip and Fall Case?
Each slip and fall accident varies from person to person. There is no overall blanket dollar amount we could give for all slip-and-fall lawsuits. Our experienced slip and fall attorneys at Heidari Law will be able to determine the merits of your claim and how much you could potentially recover in damages. Call us for a free no risk consultation today.
How Long Does a Slip and Fall Lawsuit Take?
The outcome depends on the type of accident the plaintiff experienced. When the slip and fall accident is complex, or involves multiple parties, the lawsuit could take longer than expected.
How Do Slip and Fall Accidents Occur?
There are many different reasons why slip and falls happen. Below are some of the most common types of slip and fall accidents.
- Wet surfaces, freshly mopped floors, liquid spills
- Uneven walkways, cracked pavement
- Carpet, floorboards, floor mats that are loose
- Worn out carpet
- Broken floor tiles, damaged wood flooring
- Poorly designed walkways
- Objects in the walkway, electrical cords, and wires
- Weather causing wet or icy surfaces
- Poor lighting in a dim area
- Broken or damaged stairs and handrails
- Lack of signage with warnings
- Unsafe construction zones
Do I need a lawyer for a slip and fall accident?
Legally, you do not need an attorney to represent you in a slip and fall accident. But insurance companies will try to downplay the amount. That is why it is important to hire an experienced trial attorney that could argue in trial and reject the settlement about if it is fairly low.
Experienced Attorneys for a California Slip and Fall Injury Case
Going through the legal hurdles of a slip and fall injury is not simple. The aftermath process can be quite daunting. There are many details that come along with it that you need to oversee if you do not want to be left in the dust. On top of being injured, you are most likely going to be left at home without work, which is a double hit, especially if you do not have the financial resources.
Here are some ways that our experienced team here would get your back from the beginning:
- Our firm will provide you with a full breakdown, in detail of what you are to expect during the process.
- We ask the right questions. We investigate the right variables. We follow up appropriately. We do not leave you hanging.
- Our firm fights hard for you. We have years of experience to get the right outcome.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall accident, contact our California slip and fall accident lawyers for free consultation today. We are available 24/7 for any legal assistance that you may need concerning your slip and fall claim. Our attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, meaning that you do not have to pay us up front until we settle your case or when a verdict in trial. We have offices located in California and Nevada. Contact us to have your medical bills and pain and suffering reimbursed after a slip and fall accident.