California Slip and Fall Lawyer
Slip and Fall Accident on a Property
California Slip and Fall Attorney
Slip and Fall Accidents (Trip and Fall) can happen with the possibility of serious injuries. This can fall under the premises liability claim and can be entitled to monetary compensation if there is a serious injury that has occurred.
Accidents absolutely do happen, it is part of life. Though, there are times when a slip and fall is really no one’s fault – from the outside. But, when you look deeper at it, a trip or fall over an object ends up being the end result of a very badly designed, halfway constructed, or semi-maintained commercial and/or basic property that falls under residential or commercial and results in serious injury, it can very well, depending on how it’s investigated – be the full responsibility of the owner of the respective property who would compensate you for your emotional distress, physical pain and short/long term suffering. This would also include the loss of finances from not having a job during this time and the massive amount of medical expenses. In this case, someone that has been injured from a slip and fall and has experienced financial losses, they should consult with their lawyer about it.
Examples of Slip and Fall Injuries:
A few examples of slip and fall injury types include:
- Head Injuries (Brain injury) – This is the most common type of injury from a slip and fall, causing Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). A TBI may range from a small concussion to complement mental impairment.
- Broken Arm, Leg, Ankle – Slipping or tripping can cause a really bad fall ending with a broken ankle, leg, or arm. Older people are more likely to break their leg or arm in a slip and fall.
- Fractured Bones (Fractured Ankle) – Fractured ankles are common with slip and fall accidents. This is also common with older people when they have a slip and fall injury.
- Soft Tissue Injury (Torn ligament or sprained ankle/wrist) – If you don’t break a bone from a slip and fall, you might have a sprained ankle or torn ligament.
- Skin Injuries – Breaking the skin due to a slip and fall can happen if a sharp object cuts you or the pavement causes a tear.
- Back Injury and Spinal Cord Injury – Permanent back injuries can happen with a herniated disk, fractured vertebrae, or nerve damage. At least 25% of spinal cord injuries are caused by a slip and fall accident.
- Shoulder Injury – A dislocated shoulder or broken shoulder may have resulted from a slip and fall causing permanent damage. This may require surgery in order to recover.
(Fictional) Example of a California Slip and Fall Injury Case:
At a crowded airport on a busy Friday afternoon, Thomas slips on water left on the floor in front of the airport coffee shop. The area was extremely wet, though not visible. There were many employees in the area, but nobody took the time to put a caution sign on the ground, nor clean up the spill. After looking and investigating the video footage, the spill had been there for a very long time, and none of the employees had done anything to correct it.
The airport management/owners are most likely to be held liable for Thomas’ fall. The reason why is because the fact that the spill had been on the ground for a long time and none of the employees had done anything to correct it. What should have been done is that their cleaning crew or an assigned “safety employee” should have done their respective rounds and looked for spills, helping prevent this type of accident. Since nobody did this, Thomas is now severely injured and will be out of work for the next 5 months due to a torn ACL and medial meniscus. This will also cost Thomas financial hardship due to not being able to work and will have medical bills that will need to be paid.
Responsibility of the Business or Property Owner after a Slip and Fall Injury:
If you are living in California and have suffered a slip and fall injury, you should seek medical attention and contacted a professional California Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer.
There is a responsibility of a business that states if they are going to keep their doors open, they have a duty to their patrons and even employees to keep everything safe. This goes from a logistical standpoint all the way to how they treat their employees. In this case, we are looking at the logistics (meaning the structure of the building/office).
This duty to their patrons and employees is common sense, and if their building is not designed in a manner that is safe, then they need to do their due diligence in order to create a safe environment. What this entails is that the owner is required to implement a specific protocol and more specifically follow guidelines and procedures to check up and inspect the premises of the building and notate any type of risks that would end up as an injury to their customers/patrons/employees.
What does this mean? On their end, this would equate to very quickly and precisely cleaning up all types of spills, and then setting out yellow caution signs (should the floors be wet or hazardous), or even addressing in a prompt manner – any other real hazardous type conditions.
Here is the problem. Many businesses do not follow this type of proactive procedures and take precautions, and because of their negligence, you may have experienced a slip and fall accident. Now you are most likely stuck without work, emotionally distressed, and physically damaged.
Reasons Why Slip and Fall Accidents Happen
There are many different reasons why slip and falls happen. Below are some of the most common types of slip and fall accidents.
- Wet surfaces, freshly mopped floors, liquid spills
- Uneven walkways, cracked pavement
- Carpet, floorboards, floormats that are loose
- Worn our carpet
- Broken floor tiles, damaged wood flooring
- Poorly designed walkways
- Objects in the walkway, electrical cords, and wires
- Weather causing wet or icy surfaces
- Poor lighting in a dim area
- Broken or damaged stairs and handrails
- Lack of signage with warnings
- Unsafe construction zones
Experienced Attorneys for a California Slip and Fall Injury Case
Going through the trials and tribulations of a slip and fall injury is not simple. The aftermath process can be quite daunting. There are many details that come along with it that you need to oversee if you do not want to be left in the dust. On top of being injured, you are most likely going to be left at home without work, which is a double hit- especially if you do not have the financial resources.
Here are some ways that our experienced team here would get your back from the beginning:
- Our firm will provide you a full breakdown, in detail of what you are to expect during the process.
- We ask the right questions. We investigate the right variables. We follow up appropriately. We do not leave you hanging.
- Our firm fights hard for you. We have years of experience to get the right outcome.
An experienced team of slip and fall attorneys will help guide you through your personal injury case. If you or a loved one living in California has suffered a slip and fall injury, please contact us here at the Heidari Law Group.