Our committed LGBTQ discrimination attorneys have represented several clients who have been discriminated against in the workplace. Call us today to discuss your claim at a free no risk consultation.
Ride Share Accident
Motor Vehicle Accident
Trip and Fall Accident
Ride Share Accident
Motor Vehicle Accident
Trip and Fall Accident
Motor Vehicle Accident
LGBTQ Discrimination Lawyers
Discrimination against employees who are LGBTQ+ in the workplace is a serious issue in the United States. Not only does it bring down employee morale, but it also affects employees’ mental health. There are several different types of policies and laws, on the federal level, and implemented in California and Nevada to protect individuals from such discrimination.
Our employment discrimination attorneys take great pride in representing and protecting the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning individuals at the workplace. We understand that it can be very difficult being a part of a community, but it could be especially more difficult when you have to face an employer or other employees who discriminate against you simply because you are a part of the LGBTQ community.
If you or your loved one believe that you have been discriminated against, give our attorneys a call. You may have an opportunity to file a lawsuit against your employer for the discrimination that you have faced.
Our skilled and dedicated LGBTQ discrimination attorneys recognize that there are different types of discrimination that the community faces in the workplace. The different types of discrimination include:
- Discrimination based on sexual orientation
- Discrimination based on transgender status
- Discrimination based on the HIV and AIDS medical status
- Discrimination based on gender expression and identity
Not only may an employee face discrimination, but the LGBTQ community also commonly faces harassment and retaliation at the workplace. One of the most common is the denial of Family and Medical Leave, which every employee has a right to. Our attorneys are dedicated to fighting for LGBTQ employees who have experienced unfair treatment at work.
LGBTQ Community Statistics
- According to the Center for American Progress, 1 in 3 LGBTQ Americans faces discrimination.
- 3 in 5 transgender Americans have admitted to being discriminated against.
- 15% of LGBTQ Americans admitted to postponing any medical procedures or treatments because they were discriminated against.
- 5% of adults in Nevada consider themselves part of the LGBTQ community.
LGBTQ Workplace Discrimination Examples
There are several other types of workplace discrimination that members of the LGBTQ community face. This list is not exhaustive.
- Discrimination by paying the employee a lesser amount
- Discrimination in benefits
- Withdrawing a job offer after being made aware that the employee was part of the LGBTQ community
- Excluding the employee from business lunches
- Terminating or reducing the employee’s hours for making a gender transition
- Promoting less qualified employees who are not gay or lesbian
LGBTQ Workplace Harassment Examples
- Offensive comments
- Unwanted and inappropriate touching
- Inappropriate jokes
- Sexual orientation stereotyping
- Gender identity stereotyping
Federal and State Anti-discrimination Laws
Below are some examples of major state and federal laws that protect LGBTQ employees from discrimination and harassment in the workplace:
- California Fair Employment and Housing Act
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Title IX of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- California Department of Managed Health Care Regulations
Do I Have a Legal Claim if My Employer Harasses Me at Work?
Harassment is not tolerated under any California law. California laws explicitly outlaw any type of harassment, especially LGBTQ discrimination harassment. Harassment is considered a form of discrimination and is intended to frighten or intimidate the employee. An employee has a claim for discrimination if they face any type of harassment at work.
If you have been harassed at work for being part of the LGBTQ community, make sure that you document everything. For example, if your employee sends you discriminatory emails, make sure that you save them.
Am I Protected if I Transition While Working?
California laws permit an employee to take off time from work for transgender transition medical surgeries. Further, employees do have a right to tell their employers about their transition. An employer cannot retaliate by firing the employee after hearing about the news of the transition.
What if My Employer Addresses Me by the Wrong Gender Pronoun?
When an employer addresses an employee with the wrong gender pronoun, California laws advise that the employee notify the employer immediately regarding how they want to be addressed. If the employer still continues to address the employee incorrectly on purpose, the employee will have a valid claim for discrimination against the employer.
Could I Use the Restroom That Best Aligns with My Gender Identity?
An employer cannot reject an employee from using a specific gender restroom. An employee has the right to use whatever restroom they closely align with.
Could a Potential Employer Ask About My Gender Identity During a Job Interview?
California laws forbid employers from asking potential interview applicants about their gender identity and their gender status. This includes direct or indirect questions. Gender identity cannot be made a condition of the employment position. California is an at-will employment state, meaning that an employee cannot let go of an employee without a valid reason.
Do I Have to File a Complaint with the Human Resources Department Before I File a Lawsuit?
We advise our clients to contact their human resources department to report any LGBTQ discrimination they have experienced at work prior to filing a lawsuit. If LGBTQ discrimination persists, we advise filing a lawsuit against the other party. Filing an internal HR complaint allows the plaintiff to have documented records of putting the employer on notice.
What Type of Compensation Could I Recover with an LGBTQ Discrimination Lawsuit?
Below are some examples of damages you could receive if you have become a victim of LGBTQ discrimination at work:
- Lost wages
- Lost benefits
- Reinstated at work (very rare)
- Lost Pension benefits
- Loss of bonus payments
- Emotional distress from the discrimination
- Future lost wages
What Do Our LGBTQ Discrimination Attorneys Do?
- Make sure our clients understand their legal rights under local, state, and federal anti-discrimination laws. Many clients that we have assisted did not even know that they face discrimination at work, or that they could file a lawsuit about it.
- Investigate your claims to make sure that we have a strong case in your favor.
- Prepare all the necessary documents that should be filed with the court. There are several different types of complaints that should be filed within a specific period of time.
- Negotiate with employers to reach a settlement agreement that will compensate you for your damages.
- In the event that your case does go to trial, our attorneys will represent you in trial.
Contact an Experienced LGBTQ Discrimination Attorney Today
If you or a loved one believe you have been discriminated against because you are part of the LGBTQ community, it is important to immediately seek legal assistance to determine the merits of your claim. Our attorneys at Heidari Law will work to ensure the maximum compensation for your injuries.
We work tirelessly to make sure that employers are held accountable for their actions. Whether you have been denied pay, or benefits, or have had a change in attitude from your employer, you deserve to have your rights represented. Give us a call today to discuss what your best options are.
With a discrimination case, you could file a complaint with the government agency, file a complaint at the workplace, or file a civil lawsuit against the other party. This depends on the circumstances of the discrimination. for us to better assist you, book a consultation today. Contact our discrimination attorneys today if you believe that your sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity has been used against you at work. During our free consultation, we can determine how we could help your LGBTQ workplace claim. We understand how difficult it may be to experience discrimination in the workplace, we are here to help.
- Aviation and Airline Accident Attorney
- Bicycle Accidents
- Big Rig Accidents
- Bus Accidents
- Car Accidents
- Construction Accidents
- Crane Accidents
- Gym Accidents
- Horseback Riding Accidents
- Motorcycle Accident Attorney
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Premises Liability Accidents
- Ride Share Negligence
- Scaffolding Accidents
- RV Accidents
- Slip & Fall Accidents
- Swimming Pool Accidents
- Taxi Cab Accidents
- Train Accidents
- Trucking Accident
- Personal Injury
- Airbnb Injury
- Animal Injuries
- Axe Throwing Injuries
- Bounce House
- Broken Bone Injuries
- Burn Injuries
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Catastrophic Injury
- Dog Bite Injuries
- Factory Injuries
- Head Injuries
- Ladder Injuries
- Nerve Damage Injuries
- Premises Liability Injuries
- Seat Belt Injuries
- Sexual Assault Injuries
- Slip and Fall Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Sports Injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Work Related Injuries
- Wrongful Death Attorney
- Employment & Labor
- Medical Malpractice
- Data Privacy Breach
- Insurance Bad Faith
- Legal Malpractice
- Nursing Home Neglect/Abuse
- Product Liability
- Negligent Security
- Persian / Iranian Attorneys
Amazing Car Accident Lawyer
“Saman is by far true to his word. He truly was available at all times and always kept me updated. In the end, he settled my case with a great results. He didn’t treat me like a file, he treated me as if he was representing family. If you are looking for open, fast, thorough and a detailed lawyer, look no further. I will definitely recommend him to anyone seeking legal services who wants to feel assured that they are in the best hands.”
“I was injured in a car accident. The lawyer made sure that I went to my chiropractor sessions and that I get the medical attention needed. I also got MRI’s as needed and also got back injections as needed. He was very persistent on contacting me, even when I wasn’t reachable, and making sure that I got treated right and paid a good amount at the end. He is a very respectful person and great lawyer.”
An Extraordinary Experience
“Thank you for your unwavering commitment to my case. Words do not adequately describe my feelings, when no one seemed to care about an old vet with an injury you were there. I can remember as clearly as though it were yesterday, your sincerity and desire to help me. For that, I will always be grateful. Your endless commitment of time, financial resources and a personal concern for my physical well being surpassed anything I could have expected or imagined.”
- Protecting Whistleblowers from Workplace Retaliation
- Your Rights When Coming Out At Work
- Wrongful Termination in California: Understanding Your Rights
- Can I Get Fired for Calling in Sick?
- What is a Breach of Contract?
- What is Quid Pro Quo?
- I Was Injured At Work – What Are My Rights
- When to Hire an Employment Lawyer
24/7 Free Case Evaluation
Los Angeles Office3530 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 710 Los Angeles, CA 90010 Tel: 213-884-4881
Irvine Office17875 Von Karman Ave. Suite 150 & 250 Irvine, CA 92614 Tel: 949-239-1020
Sacramento Office180 Promenade Cir Ste 300 Sacramento, CA 95834 Tel: 916-461-1818
Bakersfield Office3501 Mall View Rd Suite 105 Bakersfield, CA 93306 Tel: 661-409-0000