Barstow Wrongful Death Attorneys
If you are residing in Barstow and have recently been affected by a wrongful death, reach out to Heidari Law Group without delay. Our wrongful death attorneys in Barstow are available to thoroughly review your case.
Ride Share Accident
Motor Vehicle Accident
Trip and Fall Accident
Ride Share Accident
Motor Vehicle Accident
Trip and Fall Accident
Motor Vehicle Accident
Experienced Wrongful Death Lawyers in Barstow
The sudden loss of a loved one can impose significant emotional, physical, and financial burdens on the surviving family members. If their passing resulted from the wrongful or negligent actions of another party, then the survivors might have the chance to file a wrongful death lawsuit to seek compensation for their loss. While no legal action can ever replace a loved one or alleviate the emotional suffering, it can assist the survivors in managing the financial challenges that frequently arise following such tragic incidents.
Wrongful death is a legally intricate concept that often requires robust evidence and skilled legal representation to successfully prove in court. Our Barstow wrongful death attorneys will conduct a thorough investigation of your case to ensure you receive maximum compensation. In a wrongful death claim, the plaintiff must demonstrate that their loved one’s death resulted from another person’s negligence. Pursuing a wrongful death claim allows claimants to seek financial recompense for both economic losses and emotional suffering.
Although wrongful death may be associated with criminal prosecution, our Barstow personal injury attorneys focus on the civil lawsuit aspect. The burden of proof in a civil wrongful death claim is significantly lower than that in a criminal case.
Regardless of the cause of your loved one’s death (be it a car accident, product defect, etc.), our attorneys are ready to take on the case and seek justice for your unexpectedly lost loved ones. We understand the overwhelming nature of such cases, but we are here to support you. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with our Barstow wrongful death lawyers.
Who can sue for wrongful death in Barstow?
In California, specific individuals are authorized to file wrongful death claims on behalf of the deceased, known as the decedent. Eligible parties who can initiate a lawsuit for the decedent include:
- A spouse;
- A domestic partner;
- Grandchildren (if the decedent’s children are deceased);
- Other minor children, such as stepchildren, who lived with the decedent for at least 180 days prior to the death and depended on the decedent for at least half of their financial support;
- Any other person entitled to the decedent’s property under the laws of intestate succession (relatives who could inherit a portion of the decedent’s estate if there was no will).
This is in accordance with the California Code of Civil Procedure § 377.60.
If you fit any of the above criteria for initiating a wrongful death lawsuit, we encourage you to contact our attorneys today. If you’re unsure, particularly in cases where the decedent had no surviving spouse or children, wrongful death lawsuits can become more complex. In such situations, it’s important to consult with our attorneys to determine the appropriate course of action.
Wrongful Death Statistics in Barstow
- California ranks as the state with the second-highest number of fatal car accidents.
- In 2020, there was a 5% increase in car accident fatalities compared to 2019, despite the global pandemic.
- The state experienced a 27% rise in its homicide rate in 2020.
- The number of African American homicide victims in Los Angeles increased by 36%.
- Males aged 18 to 29 years were most likely to be involved in fatal motorcycle accidents.
- There were 474 motorcycle fatalities in 2019.
- In 2019, the United States recorded a total of 2,811 fatal motorcycle accidents.
How many people can bring a wrongful death action in Barstow?
In California, all parties eligible to file a wrongful death claim for a single individual’s death must unite in the same lawsuit. It is not permissible for multiple parties to file separate wrongful death claims for the same deceased individual. All claimants must collaborate in a single case. This requirement ensures the efficiency of the California courts, preventing the same case from being litigated more than once.
Wrongful Death Laws in Barstow
In California, a death is deemed wrongful if the act leading to the victim’s demise was preventable and occurred due to negligence, intentional misconduct, or recklessness.
Wrongful death in California is a legal action initiated when a third party’s act results in someone’s death. These claims aim to seek compensation from the individual responsible for causing the death. Consequently, wrongful death attorneys in California can pursue compensation through three different legal approaches: negligence, intentional harm, or strict liability cases.
- Elements of Negligence: In these cases, the responsible party had a duty to operate their vehicle or care for the victim safely. This duty was breached, and the breach resulted in an accident or injuries that led to the victim’s death. Additionally, the death must have caused damages or losses to those who filed the lawsuit.
- Elements of Intentional Harm or Misconduct: Here, the liable party intentionally committed an act that led to another person’s death. This includes non-consensual physical contact with the victim, which could involve a vehicle collision or the use of a weapon, and such contact was the direct cause of the victim’s death.
- Elements of Strict Liability: In strict liability cases, the responsible party can be held liable regardless of their intent or efforts to prevent the accident. An example is product defects, where manufacturers and retailers can be held strictly liable regardless of any negligence or misconduct on their part. If a product defect led to the victim’s death, those responsible for the product could be liable.
What kinds of damages can be recovered in a wrongful death case in Barstow?
Compensation in wrongful death suits can cover a wide variety of damages caused by the accident. This can include payouts for things such as:
- Medical bills
- Burial and funeral expenses
- Loss of affection
- Loss of income and future earning capacity
- Loss of financial support
- Loss of household services
- Loss of comfort
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of society
- Physical & emotional pain suffered as a result of the accident
- It is important to note that punitive damages cannot be recovered in a wrongful death action
When calculating damages in wrongful death cases, the jury considers the deceased person’s lifestyle, health, and life expectancy had they not died. Insurance companies often aim to settle these cases for as minimal an amount as possible. An experienced wrongful death attorney in Anaheim can help maximize the compensation for the injustices suffered.
In California, damages are classified into economic and non-economic categories. Economic damages are quantifiable, like medical expenses incurred. Non-economic damages, harder to quantify, cover aspects like emotional trauma and distress, including the loss of enjoyment of life and relationships.
Wrongful Death Statute of Limitations in California
California law permits a limited amount of time for survivors to file a wrongful death lawsuit to recover damages from the responsible party. Two years is what the statute of limitations in California on wrongful death permits. Hiring a team of veteran Barstow attorneys can help to ensure that this deadline is met. If you’re in need of a wrongful death attorney in Barstow, Heidari Law Group is here to help you with your case. Contact us for a free consultation today. 1-833-225-5454
If you’re wrongful death claim is based on a medical malpractice claim, then a person has:
- 3 years from the date of the injury
- One year after the plaintiff discovers or should have discovered the injury
What do our wrongful death attorneys do?
Our Anaheim wrongful death attorneys engage in negotiations with insurance companies. Dealing with insurance firms can be challenging, as they often aim to minimize their liability to pay out as little as possible. It’s common for insurance companies to present lowball offers to family members who are grieving the loss of a loved one. We strongly advise our clients never to interact with an insurance company without legal representation. Our Anaheim wrongful death attorneys handle all negotiations and communications, allowing you to grieve without the added stress of dealing with insurance matters.
Contact Our Wrongful Death Attorneys in Barstow today
If you suspect that a loved one’s death in Anaheim was due to someone else’s negligent or intentional actions, reach out to our attorneys immediately for a consultation with a wrongful death lawyer in Anaheim. During your complimentary, risk-free initial consultation, our attorneys will examine your claim and explore various legal strategies suitable for your wrongful death case. Our team is committed to ensuring that your loved one receives justice and that you are awarded the maximum compensation you deserve.
We are on your side and understand the immense difficulty of dealing with a loved one’s death. However, delaying action can decrease the likelihood of recovering monetary damages for funeral expenses and other losses. Please don’t hesitate to contact us today.
Contact us anytime 24/7 for a free consultation.
Amazing Car Accident Lawyer
“Saman is by far true to his word. He truly was available at all times and always kept me updated. In the end, he settled my case with a great results. He didn’t treat me like a file, he treated me as if he was representing family. If you are looking for open, fast, thorough and a detailed lawyer, look no further. I will definitely recommend him to anyone seeking legal services who wants to feel assured that they are in the best hands.”
“I was injured in a car accident. The lawyer made sure that I went to my chiropractor sessions and that I get the medical attention needed. I also got MRI’s as needed and also got back injections as needed. He was very persistent on contacting me, even when I wasn’t reachable, and making sure that I got treated right and paid a good amount at the end. He is a very respectful person and great lawyer.”
An Extraordinary Experience
“Thank you for your unwavering commitment to my case. Words do not adequately describe my feelings, when no one seemed to care about an old vet with an injury you were there. I can remember as clearly as though it were yesterday, your sincerity and desire to help me. For that, I will always be grateful. Your endless commitment of time, financial resources and a personal concern for my physical well being surpassed anything I could have expected or imagined.”
24/7 Free Case Evaluation
Los Angeles Office3530 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 710 Los Angeles, CA 90010 Tel: 213-884-4881
Irvine Office17875 Von Karman Ave. Suite 150 & 250 Irvine, CA 92614 Tel: 949-239-1020
Sacramento Office180 Promenade Cir Ste 300 Sacramento, CA 95834 Tel: 916-461-1818
Bakersfield Office3501 Mall View Rd Suite 105 Bakersfield, CA 93306 Tel: 661-409-0000