There are several different common types of personal injury cases that you could get sued for in California and Nevada. Our experienced and top-rated personal injury attorneys have decades of practice representing victims who have been injured in a variety of accidents. The most common accidents we have seen are discussed below.
Most Common Types of Personal Injury Lawsuits
- Car accidents: car accidents are one of the most common types of personal injury claims in California and Nevada. Car accidents can occur almost anywhere, on private roads, on freeways, and on public roads. Car accidents can occur in a variety of ways, including head-on collisions, blind spot accidents, car rollover accidents, rear-end collisions, side-impact collisions, multiple car accidents, pedestrian accidents, Etc. Car accidents also involve other vehicles such as metros, Uber, Lyft, train, railroad, airplane, tour bus, etc.
- Slip and fall accidents: slip and fall accidents could lead to very dangerous injuries. Almost always slip and fall accidents occur on another person’s property. Examples of potential defendants who could be liable for slip and fall accidents include hotels, pools, casinos, apartment complex management, and restaurants. Slip and fall accidents are filed under a premises liability legal claim, which states that the landowner had a duty to act in a reasonably safe manner, yet failed that duty when they failed to take reasonable precautions to prevent an accident.
- Medical malpractice: these types of lawsuits refer to negligence against medical providers and healthcare workers such as nurses, doctors, surgeons, radiologists, physical therapists, pharmacists, etc. This occurs when healthcare practitioners make negligent mistakes throughout the course of their work. The most common examples of medical malpractice lawsuits include birth injuries, negligent surgeries being performed, missed diagnosis, and pharmacy negligence.
- Assault: although many may think that assault brings only criminal charges, a plaintiff could also file civil charges against an assaulter. Assault is usually not a result of negligence, but is an act that is done intentionally. Assault occurs when a person intentionally places another in immediate apprehension of fear of bodily injury or offensive contact. If you have been a victim of assault, you may have a claim against the assaulter for your injuries suffered.
- Workplace accidents: workplace accidents are especially common in California and Nevada. One of the most dangerous workplace sectors in California are construction accidents. When the construction sites are negligently maintained, construction workers may end up getting severely injured. Other causes of workplace accidents include defective products. Employers are required to provide financial compensation for employees who have been injured on the job in California or Nevada.
- Product liability: product liability lawsuits are lawsuits against a product manufacturer for creating defective products. If the defective product causes injury, then the injured victim may have a claim against the product manufacturer, along with the product retailer for any injuries they have suffered.
- Defamation: defamation occurs when a person makes a false and defamatory statement concerning a plaintiff to a third party. There are different elements of defamation that the plaintiff must have to prove in a defamation lawsuit. For example, if the plaintiff is a celebrity or a public figure, there are different elements that the plaintiff must have to prove. If the topic is a topic of public concern, there are also a variety of different elements that the plaintiff must meet. To determine what elements you must meet in your defamation lawsuit, contact our California defamation attorneys today.
- Dog bites: dog bites are especially common in California. California holds the dog owner liable if their dog has shown dangerous propensities in the past. This means that if the dog has been involved in a bite in the past, the dog owner will most likely be held liable for the second bite their dog engaged in.
- Wrongful death: wrongful death personal injury lawsuits occur when the decedent’s family files a lawsuit against the at-fault party for the decedent’s compensation, along with any funeral or burial expenses. Family members should not have to deal with the burden of any medical and funeral expenses because their loved one has passed away due to another’s negligence. Wrongful death lawsuits allow family members to hold the at fault party liable.
- Construction accidents: if you have been injured in a construction site accident, whether you were an employee or simply walking by a construction site, you may be able to file a lawsuit against the construction company for any damages you have suffered. Construction sites involved very heavy machinery that could result in very severe injuries.
What Are Common Injuries in Personal Injury Cases?
- Traumatic brain injury: this occurs when there is injury to the brain, and is one of the most severe injuries that could occur in a personal injury accident. Usually, traumatic brain injuries are not noticeable until a couple days, or even weeks after the accident. That is why it is very important to seek medical care immediately.
- Broken bones: this occurs when any of the bones in the body have been fractured due to the sudden impact of the accident.
- Internal bleeding: this is also an injury that is not readily apparent, and requires urgent medical attention.
- Burns: examples of burns include chemical burns and product defect burns.
- Spinal cord injuries: this is very common in car accident cases, when the Sudden Impact causes damage to the driver’s spinal cord.
- Back injuries: back injuries are also another common result of spinal cord injuries, and could result in permanent physical disability.
- Disfigurement: facial injuries are very common in car accidents, especially when the driver’s face hits the steering wheel.
- Loss of Limbs: usually severe injuries will require amputation to the victim’s arm, toes, or fingers.
- Neck injuries: neck injuries are very common in almost every accident that occurs. Speeds as low as 15 mph could cause severe permanent neck injuries.
- Knee injuries: knee injuries occur when the driver or passenger’s knee crashes into the front dashboard of the vehicle. Extensive damage could be done to the knee cartilage.
- Shoulder injuries: shoulder injuries could occur from the sudden Impact onto the driver’s shoulder as they brace their hands on the steering wheel.
- Lacerations: accidents almost always cause lacerations when sharp flying objects cause friction and head towards the victim.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder: this is a type of injury that is not physical. This is an emotional trauma that the victim suffers from being involved in an accident. Post-traumatic stress disorder is exceptionally common in dog bite injuries.
- Wrongful-death: this is a claim that is brought by a decedent’s family member if they have died as a result of their injuries from the personal injury accident.
How Much Do Our Personal Injury Attorneys Cost?
Our personal injury attorneys work on a contingency basis. Contingency basis means that until we win compensation in your favor, you owe us $0 out of pocket. Contact a team of top-rated California personal injury attorneys will front all costs and take on the risks of litigating your claim. Until we win a settlement or judgment in your favor, you owe us nothing.
***Disclaimer: This page is created by Heidari Law Group for educational purposes. This article provides a general understanding of the law. It does not provide specific advice. By using this site and reading through this page, there is no attorney-client relationship created between you and any member of Heidari Law. Further, due to the constant change of the law, some parts of the information above may no longer be good law.