Sacramento Age Discrimination Attorneys
If you or a loved one has been discriminated against because of your age at the workplace, it is very important that you contact our Sacramento age discrimination lawyers about your potential claim.
There are several statutes in place on a state level and federal level that protect employees from being discriminated against simply because of their age. If you have been discriminated against because of your age by your Sacramento employer, get into contact with our top-rated Sacramento discrimination attorneys today. A top-rated employment attorney in Sacramento will be able to protect your rights, along with gather strong evidence to pursue your legal claim.
Our employment attorneys offer a no-risk consultation, where we will review your claim, and answer any questions you may have. During this consultation, we will review the strength of your case, along with what type of compensation you could potentially receive for your injuries. Our law firm represents employees, workers, and high-ranking executives in California, especially in Sacramento County. We are available 24/7 via phone and email, along with having an office located in the heart of Sacramento.
Other than age discrimination, our Sacramento employment lawyers also have decades of experience representing wrongful retaliation, wrongful termination, and other types of discrimination.
Sacramento Age Discrimination Demographics
According to the United States Census Bureau:
- The County of Sacramento has around 1.5 million residents
- The highest population age group is between 25 to 34 years old
- The second highest age group in Sacramento is between 35 to 44 years old
- The third highest age group in Sacramento is between 45 to 54 years old
If you have suffered age discrimination in Sacramento, it is very important to give our experienced Sacramento discrimination attorneys a call today at 916-461-1818.
What Qualifies as Age Discrimination in Sacramento?
Age discrimination is protected under the Age discrimination in Employment Act, Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, along with the California’s Fair Employment and Housing Act. California and the federal government have several laws in place that protect employees from being discriminated against simply because of their age. There are specific safeguards in place that apply to employees who are 40 years of age or older.
Title VII of the Civil Rights Act prohibits employers from discriminating against their employees because of their age for companies with 15 or more employees. California’s Fair Employment and Housing Act protects employees from age discrimination when working at a company with five or more employees. Age discrimination is treating an employee negatively and through adverse actions simply because they belong to a protected class of 40 years of age or more.
Examples Of Age Discrimination in California
Age discrimination can take place in many forms, and by many different parties at the workplace. Examples include:
- Being fired because of your age
- Not being promoted because of your age
- Being demoted because of your age
- Cutting your salary because of your age
- Taking away your health insurance benefits because of your salary
- Forcing an employee to retire early
- Age harassment
- Discriminatory verbal statements
- Failing to prevent employers from discriminating
Is Age Discrimination Legal in California?
Age discrimination is illegal and considered unethical in California. Any employer who retaliates against an employee, or shows any adverse action against an employee simply because of their age is liable to the employee for any injuries the employees sustained. This includes suspension, cut in pay, cutting hours, or any demotion. Our team is available 24/7 to take on your age discrimination claim.
How Much is an Age Discrimination Lawsuit Worth in Sacramento?
Age discrimination lawsuits differ depending on the circumstances of the discrimination. For example, an employee who has sustained emotional distress as a result of the discrimination will have an award for compensation compared to another employee who did not have any pain and suffering. To determine what type of compensation you can receive for your age discrimination claim in Sacramento, contact our age discrimination attorneys.
How Do I Know if I’m a Victim of Age Discrimination?
There are several signs that could indicate some sort of age discrimination in the workplace. Examples include:
- When older employees are being fired or laid off in groups
- You are reassigned because of your age
- Your employer verbally gives you multiple comments regarding your age
- Your employer fails to give you any raises or promotions
- Your performance reviews are negative, and they don’t point to anything specific
How Do I Prove a Discrimination in Sacramento?
As the plaintiff, the employee has to establish elements of age discrimination when filing a claim with the California’s Fair Employment and Housing department. The Fair Employment and Housing department’s age discrimination protections apply to employers who have five or more employees. Even employees who work remotely from out of state for a California company will still apply under this age discrimination statute in California. In order to establish an age discrimination claim with the California State Fair Employment and Housing Act, the plaintiff needs to prove:
- They are at least forty years old and belong to the protected class
- They perform their jobs satisfactorily
- They experienced adverse action (such as being demoted, or fired)
- They were replaced by a younger employee with equal qualifications or the main reason for the adverse action was because of age discrimination
It is the plaintiff’s responsibility to prove these elements. Once the plaintiff proves these elements, the burden then shifts on to defendant to show that they had a non-discriminatory motive for their adverse action. If the employer does meet the burden and show that they had a non-discriminatory motive, it is then the plaintiff’s burden to show that the defendant’s excuse is just pretext.
Do Age Discrimination Protections Apply to Every Employee?
It is important to note that under both Federal and California law, employees over the age of 40 years or older are protected. However, employees who are independent contractors do not fall under these statutes. This means that independent contractors may not have age discrimination protections in place. To determine if you are an independent contractor, our attorneys review the scope of employment, the payment, along with the equipment used for employment. For more information, and to determine if you are an independent contractor, contact our Sacramento employment attorneys today.
Who Should You Call for Age Discrimination in Sacramento?
Our experienced top-rated attorneys are ready to represent you in your age discrimination claim. We will work to recover various types of compensation, including compensation for your lost income, emotional distress, and attorney’s fees.
Our attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, which means that we only charge a fee if we obtain a favorable result. This means that we will only charge a fee until we win a settlement or judgment in your favor. This allows us to defend employees’ rights aggressively, and we bear the risk of litigating such claims, while you focus on healing from your injuries.
Contact us for a free no risk consultation today if you have been terminated, harassed, or demoted because of your age.
Heidari Law Group Sacramento Practice Areas
- Sacramento Personal Injury Attorneys
- Sacramento Assault and Battery Lawyers
- Sacramento Slip and Fall Attorneys
- Sacramento Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers
- Sacramento Traumatic Brain Injury Attorneys
- Sacramento Wrongful Death Lawyers
- Sacramento Dog Bite Attorneys
- Sacramento DUI & Drunk Driver Crash Lawyers
- Sacramento Workers' Compensation Attorneys
- Sacramento Persian Attorneys & Iranian Lawyers
- Sacramento Car Accident Attorneys
- Sacramento Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
- Sacramento Bike Accident Attorneys
- Sacramento Truck Accident Lawyers
- Sacramento Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
- Sacramento Bus Accident Lawyers
- Sacramento Ride Share Accident Attorneys
- Sacramento Uber & Lyft Accident Lawyers
- Sacramento Electric Scooter Accident Attorneys