Electric Scooter Accident Attorney in Irvine
If you or a loved one have been injured in an electric scooter accident in Irvine, then you may be entitled to recover compensation for the damages suffered. Get a free case evaluation at Heidari Law Group.
In recent years, electric scooters have become a popular & eco-friendly form of transporation used in many cities across California including in Irvine, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. While providing a convenient mode of transporation for many, electric scooters from companies such as Bird Rides, Spin, and Limebike have become a dangerous nuissance for other riders, pedestrians, and motorists who share the sidewalks & roadways.
When electric scooter accidents occur, it can be difficult to determine who is at fault, but an experienced legal team can help you sort out what happened, and determine if there is any compensation that can be recovered.
Negligence in Irvine Electric Scooter Accidents
With many riders seeing electric scooters as no more than toys, they ride at high average speeds and sometimes without a helmet or any protection at all. These negligent acts increase the likelihood of being involved in an electric scooter accident & can worsen the severity of injuries suffered by both parties. Here’s a list of negligent practices that electric scooter riders exhibit:
- Riding without any form of Califoria driver’s license. This is both illegal and can be considered negligent under certain circumstances.
- Riding an electric scooter without any protective gear that complies with the US department of Transportation’s requirements.
- Children riding on scooters that were not designed for their size and age.
- Riding an electric scooter without first ensuring that the brakes, handlebars, and battery are functioning properly.
- Riding electric scooters on rough terrain which they were not properly equipped for.
- Multiple riders on a single electric scooter.
- Driving an electric scooter on a road with speed limits higher than 25mph or driving the scooter faster than 15mph.
- Riding an electric scooter while under the influence. This is considered to be DUI in California.
- Performing stunts on the electric scooter.
Fault in Electric Scooter Accidents
As with most other types of accidents, compensation for damages sustained in scooter accidents are mostly based on who was at fault for causing the accident. Here are a few different scenarios of how fault can play out in electric scooter accidents:
- Scooter rider at fault. The rider of the scooter may be held responsible for injuries caused by the accident if their actions are found to be negligent. They can also be liable for injuries suffered as a result of a driver crashing to avoid hitting the electric scooter.
- Manufacturer at fault. If the electric scooter had a defect or design flaw that caused the accident, then the manufacturer may be able to be held liable for compensating those injured in the accident under product liability law.
- City/Business at fault. If proper driving/riding conditions are not maintained on the roadways and sidewalks such as when there are dangerous materials left on the highways, improperly placed signage, or hazardous potholes are left unfilled, then the city or business that is responsible for maintaining the road condition could be held responsible for causing the accident.
Next Step After Getting Involved in an Irvine Scooter Accident
Those who have suffered life-altering consequences as a result of an electric scooter accident caused by another’s negligence deserve compensation for their losses. An experienced Irvine scooter accident attorney may be able to help you or your loved one recover for losses such as: physical damages, medical bills, emotional suffering, loss of affection/companionship, lost income, lost employment opportunities, and potentially even punitive damages. If you’re in need of legal help in Irvine, contact Heidari Law Group today for a free case evaluation.