Private Attorneys General Act Law Experts in Irvine
If you believe your employer has violated labor laws in Irvine, California, contact our top-rated Irvine attorneys to see how you can hold them accountable.
Ride Share Accident
Motor Vehicle Accident
Trip and Fall Accident
Ride Share Accident
Motor Vehicle Accident
Trip and Fall Accident
Motor Vehicle Accident
All employers in Irvine, California, are responsible for paying fair wages to their employees and making sure that their employees are classified as correct employees. The Private Attorneys General Act (PAGE) in California allows employees the right to hold their employers accountable. The Private Attorneys General Act was initially enacted in 2004. It provides employees with a lawful basis to come forward and report any violations.
What are the violations that fall under a PAGA lawsuit?
- Violations of the California labor code, especially those that cover: overtime pay, meal breaks, rest breaks, and minimum wage
- Violations of California’s health and safety regulations, such as toxic and hazardous materials at the workplace
What are the penalties for the Private Attorneys General Act?
Since employers are held responsible, a single violation for an employer can result in $100 for each employee. This number is then multiplied by the number of pay periods that they violated the labor laws. This number takes into account the employer’s financial condition, along with how many employees had their rights taken advantage of.
Who can file a Private Attorneys General Act claim?
All employees who have been wronged can file a claim against their employer for compensation. This can be done on an individual basis, or employees can come together to file a group claim.
When can I file a Private Attorneys General Act claim?
The time you have to file a claim depends on the circumstances of the violation. But, usually, the statute of limitations for filing a PAGA claim is one year from the date of the violation. This means that the clock essentially starts ticking from the first day that the employer has neglected to pay the employees.
There are several different requirements for this time limit. For example, in some cases, the time could be much less, and in other cases, such as ongoing wage and hour disputes could increase the time limit. For more information, we recommend that you reach out to our Irvine labor attorneys to see how you could hold your employer accountable. The Private Attorneys General Act laws are constantly changing. That is why you need a highly-rated Irvine lawyer on your side to make sure that you accurately file a claim.
Could I receive compensation for filing a Private Attorneys General Act claim?
- You can’t receive compensation as an employee for filing a claim. Instead, this claim holds employers responsible and penalizes employers for failing to take adequate measures and pay employees timely. The main purpose of the act is to make sure that all employers and businesses in California adhere to labor regulations.
- When a penalty is charged against an employer, the employees who have been denied pay, and the state of California share the compensation. The compensation that the state receives goes towards the Private Attorneys General Act board, which is the labor and workforce development agency in California.
- Sometimes, the person who initiated the claim could also receive a portion of the compensation since they were the ones to bring the group together and incentivize filing the lawsuit.
- Because there are so many complex rules to filing a claim, we recommend that you consult our attorneys for a one-on-one case evaluation to determine exactly what you can receive.
Could I file a lawsuit?
The PAGA claim is essentially a claim filed with the government entity. But, you could also file an individual civil lawsuit against your employer. A lawsuit will better assist you in getting the compensation you deserve. For example, you could file an Irvine wage and hour dispute lawsuit against your employer to recover a variety of damages, which could include medical expenses, back pay, and attorney fees.
What if my employer retaliates against me for filing a Private Attorney General Act claim?
The law protects employees from speaking up and reporting any unlawful activity by an employer. So if the employer then starts to retaliate against the employee or against the group of employees that initiated is the claim, the employees could file a lawsuit for workplace retaliation. Workplace retaliation is a claim that not many employees know they have a right to. Workplace retaliation could include circumstances like the firing of an employee, demoting an employee, lessening the employee’s hours, or reassigning the employee to another location.
What does an Irvine California Private Attorneys General Act attorney do?
A PAGA attorney is one that has extensive experience in handling these types of claims and has extensive knowledge of California labor code violations. Our attorneys have decades of experience holding employers accountable for unlawful violations, whether it is health and safety violations or wage and hour disputes. Below are some general steps that our Irvine lawyers could take:
- Our top-rated attorneys offer complimentary no-risk case evaluations. A case evaluation provides our attorneys with the opportunity to investigate the circumstances of your claim and assess the amount of compensation that your employer has withheld. There are several questions that we may ask during the one-on-one case evaluation, such as: What date did your employer start to withhold your pay? Are there other employees who are also in a similar situation like you? Have you reported this incident to your employer?
- Our top-rated attorneys will then develop a personalized legal strategy to see if we should have to file a claim or a lawsuit.
- Throughout this time, our experienced attorneys will gather all the necessary pieces of evidence to build your case. For example, any pay stubs, copies of checks, and copies of employee pay schedules are documents that we could review.
- A PAGA claim requires notice to the California Labor and Workforce Development Agency.
- After a claim or lawsuit is filed, our Irvine attorneys will then negotiate a settlement amount that accurately compensates you and addresses the violations that the employer took.
- Oftentimes, if parties are not able to come to a settlement negotiation, then the case will most likely be litigated in court. Our experienced trial attorneys are not afraid of holding employers accountable for their actions.
Can I still file a PAGA lawsuit if I have an employment contract with my employer?
If you have an employment contract with your employer that states you waive your right to sue, you can still file a PAGA lawsuit.
Irvine Private Attorneys General Act Lawyer Near Me
Our top-rated attorneys will navigate through the legal complexities of the act to make sure that we file a claim or a lawsuit that best represents the labor code violations that your employer has taken.
We have extensive experience in all types of labor law and advocate for fair workplace environments.
We will guide our clients through every step of the process, and answer any questions that they may have regarding their potential claim or lawsuit. We are available 24/7 for our clients because we know how stressful this entire experience could be. It could be especially more stressful if your employer has withheld pay.
Heidari Law Group Irvine Practice Areas
- Irvine Personal Injury Attorneys
- Irvine Assault and Battery Lawyers
- Irvine Slip and Fall Attorneys
- Irvine Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers
- Irvine Traumatic Brain Injury Attorneys
- Irvine Wrongful Death Lawyers
- Irvine Dog Bite Injury Attorneys
- Irvine DUI & Drunk Driver Crash Lawyers
- Irvine Workers’ Compensation Attorneys
- Irvine Persian Attorneys & Iranian Lawyers
- Irvine Car Accident Lawyers
- Irvine Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
- Irvine Bike Accident Lawyers
- Irvine Truck Accident Attorneys
- Irvine Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
- Irvine Bus Accident Attorneys
- Irvine Ride Share Accident Lawyers
- Irvine Uber & Lyft Accident Attorneys
- Irvine Electric Scooter Accident Lawyers
- Accident Attorneys in Irvine
- Irvine Personal Injury Attorney
- Irvine Workplace Discrimination Attorney
- Irvine Lemon Law
- Wrongful Death Cases in Irvine
- Persian Lawyer in Irvine
Amazing Car Accident Lawyer
“Saman is by far true to his word. He truly was available at all times and always kept me updated. In the end, he settled my case with a great results. He didn’t treat me like a file, he treated me as if he was representing family. If you are looking for open, fast, thorough and a detailed lawyer, look no further. I will definitely recommend him to anyone seeking legal services who wants to feel assured that they are in the best hands.”
“I was injured in a car accident. The lawyer made sure that I went to my chiropractor sessions and that I get the medical attention needed. I also got MRI’s as needed and also got back injections as needed. He was very persistent on contacting me, even when I wasn’t reachable, and making sure that I got treated right and paid a good amount at the end. He is a very respectful person and great lawyer.”
An Extraordinary Experience
“Thank you for your unwavering commitment to my case. Words do not adequately describe my feelings, when no one seemed to care about an old vet with an injury you were there. I can remember as clearly as though it were yesterday, your sincerity and desire to help me. For that, I will always be grateful. Your endless commitment of time, financial resources and a personal concern for my physical well being surpassed anything I could have expected or imagined.”
- A Guide to Dog Bite Laws in California and the US
- Is It Legal To Kill A Dog If It Attacks Me
- Can You Sue a School if Your Child Gets Injured?
- What is a Subpoena?
- What is a Deposition?
- I Was Injured At Work – What Are My Rights
- Can Semi Trucks Drive in the Left Lane?
- Nursing Home Malnutrition and Dehydration
24/7 Free Case Evaluation
Los Angeles Office3530 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 710 Los Angeles, CA 90010 Tel: 213-884-4881
Irvine Office17875 Von Karman Ave. Suite 150 & 250 Irvine, CA 92614 Tel: 949-239-1020
Sacramento Office180 Promenade Cir Ste 300 Sacramento, CA 95834 Tel: 916-461-1818
Bakersfield Office3501 Mall View Rd Suite 105 Bakersfield, CA 93306 Tel: 661-409-0000