Los Angeles Sexual Assault Attorneys
Our experienced Los Angeles sexual assault attorneys have decades of experience representing victims and making sure that they receive financial compensation for their injuries.
Our attorneys understand that it is not easy to go through a sexual assault. Not only will it have devastating physical effects, but it could also have psychological effects that could potentially last for years after the sexual assault. Our Los Angeles sexual assault attorneys have experience representing victims through civil litigation. We offer free no risk consultations where we could review the merits of your claim, and figure out the different legal strategies we can take to pursue a sexual assault claim against the perpetrator.
What is sexual assault?
Sexual assault is a very vague legal term. California designates several actions as sexual assault. In Los Angeles, the actions that could be considered sexual assault are:
- Sexual threats
- Sexual seduction
- Sexual coercion
Sexual assault is any unwanted sexual contact with another person without their consent. if you or a loved one have suffered any of these above actions mentioned, contact our sexual assault attorneys today to have your rights represented.
Examples of Sexual Assault
- Unwanted kissing
- Unwanted hugging
- Unwanted violent sexual activity
- Sexual molestation
- Attempted rape
- Statutory rape
What is the difference between sexual harassment and sexual assault?
Usually, many people get these two legal terms mixed up for one another. Sexual harassment is the verbal and physical unwanted sexual actions. For example, you could file a claim for sexual harassment at the workplace if your employer has made some sexual remarks towards you. On the other hand, sexual assault is the actual physical contact with another person. You could file a lawsuit for sexual assault and sexual harassment. To determine if your circumstances fall under a sexual harassment or a sexual assault claim, contact our Los Angeles attorneys today.
What kind of damages could I receive for a sexual assault claim in Los Angeles?
A sexual assault claim could be brought criminally and civilly. Under the criminal system, the prosecutor charges a defendant with the sex crime. However, our Los Angeles attorneys take care of the civil legal process. Our attorneys hold the defendant liable civilly for any monetary damages suffered by the victim.
Even if the defendant has not been charged criminally, you could still file a claim against a third party for sexual assault in civil court. There are different types of damages a sexual assault victim could receive in Los Angeles. This depends on the circumstances of the case and the injuries suffered by the victim. Different damage is included:
- Medical expenses new line of past lost wages
- Future earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress (such as PTSD, insomnia, depression, anxiety)
- Loss of companionship
- Punitive damages: punitive damages are only awarded in Los Angeles when the court finds that there has been some type of wrongdoing by the defendant. For example, if the defendant acted with malice or an evil motive when causing the sexual assault, the victim could be able to also obtain punitive damages.
When should I file my sexual assault claim in Los Angeles?
It is very difficult to come forward if you have been a victim of sexual assault. California and Los Angeles have several laws in place that determine the statute of limitations as to when you could file your sexual assault claim. For example, the statute of limitations for many other personal injury claims range from two to six years. However, Los Angeles and California laws understand that it could be difficult for people to come forward to file a sexual assault claim.
In California, if you are a childhood sexual abuse victim, you must file the claim within five years of the discovery of the abuse or by the time you have reached 40 years old. Los Angeles has also established a set of revival claims where they have revived past sexual abuse claims.
What should I do if I have been a victim of sexual assault in Los Angeles?
If you have been sexually assaulted in Los Angeles, there are some important steps you must take.
- You should seek immediate medical help to determine if there is any evidence against the attacker. This is a very important step in filing a lawsuit against the attacker.
- Report the attack to the police department.
- If you need to speak with someone, contacting National Sexual Assault Hotline.
- Save as much evidence as possible, such as the clothing you were wearing during the attack.
- Hire an experienced sexual assault attorney to represent your claims. Not many law firms in Los Angeles handle sexual assault claims. Our attorneys understand the complexity that comes along with sexual assault claims, and are available to represent your rights.
Who are the defendants that could be liable for my sexual assault claim in Los Angeles?
There are several different types of defendants that could be liable for your sexual assault claim. These defendants could include:
- An employer
- A sports coach
- A doctor
Sexual Assault Statistics in California
- Every two and a half minutes, someone is sexually assaulted in America.
- 1 and 6 American women are victims of sexual assault.
- One in 33 men are victims of sexual assault.
- Rape and sexual assaults most commonly occurred between the hours of 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- In 2020, there were 3,756 rape crimes reported in Los Angeles. The number could be exponentially higher since when you rape victims are afraid of coming forward.
Sexual Assault at Work
If you have suffered sexual assault while at work, contact our sexual assault attorneys today to determine how you could receive damages for your injuries suffered. Our attorneys have Decades of experience representing employees whose rights have been violated at work.
According to the equal employment opportunity commission, although workplace sexual harassment reports are on the rise, many have also come forward saying that they are too afraid to report any sexual assault that they have suffered. Many are afraid of workplace retaliation if they were to come forward and report the sexual assault.
Do I need a sexual assault attorney?
While the prosecutor handles the criminal side of the sexual assault, our attorneys will work on the civil side of the sexual assault. Contact us to schedule a free consultation today.
What do our Los Angeles sexual assault attorneys do?
- We will keep your identity private throughout the scope of your case
- We will file all the necessary paperwork that is needed for your case
- We will launch an investigation into your case to the gather as much evidence as possible against the perpetrator
- We will negotiate with the at fault party
- We create a legal strategy for your claim
Let Our Experienced Los Angeles Sexual Assault Lawyers Handle your Case
Our Los Angeles attorneys can be trusted with handling a sexual assault claim. We provide free no risk confidential consultations, along with individualized attention to make sure our clients are constantly being cared for. We work hard to make sure that our clients have high-quality legal representation.
It could be very difficult to go through a sexual assault, that is why we will handle all your legal claims for you while you focus on healing. We will work to make sure you get the justice and compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.