Los Angeles Gender Discrimination Lawyers
If you have been the victim of gender discrimination at the workplace, contact our gender discrimination attorneys in Los Angeles for a free no risk consultation today. We serve all residents in Los Angeles County.
If you are employed in Los Angeles, California and have suffered some form of gender discrimination at the workplace, you have a right to seek compensation from your employer. It is considered illegal for an employer to discriminate against an employee on the basis of their gender in California.
Contact our gender discrimination attorneys for a free no risk consultation to discuss your Los Angeles gender discrimination claim. We are located in the heart of Los Angeles, and are conveniently available 24/7 via phone and email. Our aggressive workplace rights attorneys will take action immediately to make sure you receive compensation for your injuries. We understand that it could be very difficult to be discriminated against at work. Being discriminated against could cause severe trauma, especially if you are seeking another alternative job.
Our attorneys represent victims who have had their rights taken advantage of by their employers. Contact us today to discuss your gender discrimination claim.
According to the Pew Research Center survey, 4 out of 10 working women said that they experienced gender discrimination while at work. Women still earn about 84% of what men earn in 2020.
What Is Gender Discrimination in Los Angeles?
Gender discrimination is a sex-based discrimination where an employer treats an employee differently because of their gender, sexual orientation, or their gender identity.
California laws have also expanded to include gender expression and gender medical conditions. For example, medical conditions include pregnancy leave and allowing reasonable accommodations such as brakes for breastfeeding.
Gender Discrimination Examples in Los Angeles
Gender discrimination can take form in many different ways. Examples include:
- Sexual harassment
- Discriminatory verbal comments
- Demoting an employee
- Firing an employee
- Reducing the employee’s pay
- Reducing the employee’s hours
- Ignoring ideas of a specific gender
- Refusing to talk to employees that belong to a specific gender
- Having different genders take different responsibilities for the same position
- Forcing employees to quit their jobs
- Discriminatory social media posts
- Promoting an employee simply based on gender
When Is Gender Discrimination Outlawed in Los Angeles?
Gender discrimination is outlawed throughout the entire scope of employment related duties. This includes:
- Promoting an employee
- Hiring an employee
- Interviewing a potential employee
- Work benefits
- Assigning responsibilities to employees
Transgender Discrimination Lawyer in Los Angeles
If you have been fired or demoted because you have communicated your desire to undergo a sex change, or you have worn clothing that specifically relates to your gender identity, you may have a claim against your employer for compensation. Transgender discrimination can take place in many forms. The California Fair Employment and Housing Act specifically provides protection to transgender employees who have suffered discrimination in the workplace. Contact our committed discrimination attorneys if you have been a victim of transgender discrimination.
Sexual Harassment in Los Angeles
Sexual harassment occurs when there are unwanted sexual advances made by the employer against an employee. If you have been a victim of sexual harassment in the workplace, contact our employment law attorneys today to discuss your sexual harassment claims against your employer.
What type of compensation could I receive for my gender discrimination claim in Los Angeles?
There are a variety of different damages a plaintiff who is initiating the lawsuit could receive any gender discrimination claim. Examples of damages differ depending on the circumstances of the discrimination. Examples of compensation include:
- Back pay: you have the right to be awarded any past compensation that has been unfairly denied to you.
- Front pay: if you had to take off work due to the discriminatory incident, you may be able to receive damages for loss of future work hours.
- Emotional distress: this is payment for any type of emotional trauma suffered, such as pain and suffering, depression, and anxiety caused by the traumatic discriminatory experience.
- Punitive damages: this is a very rare form of compensation awarded by the courts in Los Angeles. Usually, courts need to be able to find some sort of wrongdoing and now it’s on behalf of the employer in order to award punitive damages to a plaintiff. To determine if punitive damages may apply in your case, contact our employment law attorneys in Los Angeles today
What should I do if I have been a victim of gender discrimination in Los Angeles?
If you believe you have been discriminated against by your employer, it is important to know what your legal rights are and the next necessary steps you should take. These steps include:
- Contact your Human Resources department immediately to report the discriminatory incident that occurred. It is important that you get into detail explaining the gender discrimination you suffered in the workplace, also providing names. The Human Resources department will treat your incident confidentially, and address your concerns.
- Contact an experienced Los Angeles gender discrimination attorney: if the Human Resources department has not been able to address your concerns, it is very important that you contact our top rated employment law attorneys immediately. It is important that you get into contact with an attorney that is knowledgeable about the different employment statutes in place that protect employees in Los Angeles, California.
Could my employer mandate a specific dress code?
According to the California Government Code Section 12949, If you are a transgender or a transitioning employee at work, you have the ability to choose the manner of clothing that best aligns with your identity. Your employer cannot decide what gender you need to dress as.
Can my employer deny me from using the bathroom?
Employers must allow bathroom access to employees that must align with the employee’s gender identity and expression. If your employer has denied you access to the bathroom that best aligns with your gender identity, contact our gender discrimination attorneys today.
Can my employer call me by the pronoun I choose?
Employers and co-workers should call an employee by their preferred pronoun that is appropriate to an employee’s gender identity. This goes for all employment-related purposes, such as emails and forms.
Get in Touch With Our Los Angeles Gender Discrimination Attorneys
Gender discrimination is both illegal and unethical. No one should have to endure going through such a traumatic experience. Our attorneys treat every case with our individualized attention, and provide legal services throughout the entire process of your claim. We want to make sure that our clients are well informed every step of the way. We work to make sure that you received maximum compensation for the gender discrimination you have suffered through.
If you or someone you know has been a victim of gender discrimination, it is important that you get into contact with our employment law attorneys today. Call our attorneys today for a free consultation to discuss your legal claims. Our top-rated Los Angeles attorneys are ready to help. We are on your side, to make sure that you received Justice for your injuries suffered.
Our gender discrimination attorneys also have experience with other various types of employment law claims, such as wrongful termination, and workplace retaliation. If you have experienced any type of misconduct by your employer unfairly, contact our attorneys today to determine what type of claim you may have against your employer.
Heidari Law Group Irvine Practice Areas
- Irvine Personal Injury Attorneys
- Irvine Assault and Battery Lawyers
- Irvine Slip and Fall Attorneys
- Irvine Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers
- Irvine Traumatic Brain Injury Attorneys
- Irvine Wrongful Death Lawyers
- Irvine Dog Bite Injury Attorneys
- Irvine DUI & Drunk Driver Crash Lawyers
- Irvine Workers' Compensation Attorneys
- Irvine Persian Attorneys & Iranian Lawyers
- Irvine Car Accident Lawyers
- Irvine Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
- Irvine Bike Accident Lawyers
- Irvine Truck Accident Attorneys
- Irvine Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
- Irvine Bus Accident Attorneys
- Irvine Ride Share Accident Lawyers
- Irvine Uber & Lyft Accident Attorneys
- Irvine Electric Scooter Accident Lawyers