Los Angeles Bicycle Accident Attorney
If you have been involved in a bike accident in Los Angeles, contact our attorneys today to hold the at fault driver accountable.
Top Bicycle Accident Lawyers & Attorneys in Los Angeles
Bicycles are especially common in Los Angeles. Many often ride a bicycle as a way to save gas, the environment, and to get away from congested traffic in the city streets. But, because these streets could get very congested, the risk of getting involved in a bike accident is very high. 460,000 bicyclists were injured in a single year in the United States. Bicycle accidents could result in severe injuries, sometimes even death. Because bicyclists don’t have a barrier surrounding them, they are more prone to getting hit by oncoming cars.
What many don’t know is that bicyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as motor vehicles when riding on the road. Our experienced bike accident attorneys defend these rights for our clients. When car and bicycle accidents happen, cyclists are often more at risk as they don’t have the protective casing and safety of a vehicle. Our attorneys have experience defending victims involved in severe bicycle accidents. We work to make sure that you get maximum compensation for your injuries. We have a reputation for defending our clients and protecting the victims’ rights.
If you or someone you know has been involved in a bike accident, contact our skilled bicycle accident attorneys to better understand your rights and potential for compensation.
What Causes Bicycle Accidents?
There are different causes for a bicycle accident. Most often, it depends on the circumstance. But, after representing victims in bicycle accidents for decades, the most common bicycle accident causes we have seen include:
- The motor vehicle driver was operating under the influence
- A car door was opened without looking, right into the cyclist’s path
- A cyclist is side-swiped by a passing vehicle
- A cyclist is rear-ended by a car
- A car cuts off a bicycle when entering the roadway
- A vehicle turning left at an intersection, or through a gap in traffic, crashes into the cyclist
- A vehicle turning right cuts off someone cycling straight in a bike lane
- A car driver doesn’t pay attention to a cyclist’s signaling
- The motor vehicle runs a red light or a stop sign
- A distracted driver fails to see the cyclist in front or to the side of them
- An aggressive motorist attempts to overtake a cyclist and misjudges the distance
Cyclists have the following types of vehicles to watch out for when sharing the road with others:
- Cars (Small to mid-size vehicles)
- Commercial semi-trucks
- Trucks pulling trailers
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
Common types of injuries resulting from bicycle accidents include:
- Head Injuries – A fall from a bike can cause a sever head or brain injury including skull fracture, concussion, contusion, or brain hemorrhage. These injuries can have a temporary or permanent effect and can cause such symptoms like headaches, dizziness, confusion, and nausea. If the injuries are sever enough, the rider may fall into a coma which can have permanent negative effects on their cognitive abilities in the long term.
- Face Injuries – A cyclist that falls off their bike and skids on the cement can be left with facial disfigurement, skin lacerations, dental issues, foreign objects like rocks lodged in the face, mouth, nose, and eyes.
- Chest Injuries – The impact of the cyclist hitting a hard surface like cement or concrete can break ribs, collarbones, and shoulder blades, and cause internal puncturing of organs like the lungs.
- Spinal Injuries – A fall and roll can lead to a number of spinal injuries that can cause long term pain and discomfort, and in some cases paralysis.
- Other Injuries – Besides the injuries mentioned above, a cyclist that is hit by a motor vehicle can have broken bones like the arm or leg, severe lacerations and abrasions across their body, and foreign objects that penetrate the skin.
Remember that in many cases, the lawyers for the other party will attempt to paint the cyclist in a bad light. They will say that the cyclist was operating their bicycle in a “wanton” fashion, or that they had the right of way. The lawyer will know California and Los Angeles bicycle laws and use them against you. You need an attorney on your side that knows these laws as well as them. Has fought for the right of cyclists and will fight for you.
Specific Injuries Resulting from Bicycle Accidents
There are a variety of possible personal injuries that can result from bicycle accidents, ranging from minor to severe. Some of the most common bicycle injuries are:
- Soft tissue damage
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Brain, renal, or small bowel, or large bowel contusion
- Facial, dental, skull, or rib fractures
- Lung injury
- Abdomen rupture
- Traumatic hernia
- Bodily dismemberment
Many of these injuries can be catastrophic to your way of living and can negatively impact your work, personal life and overall quality of life.
How To Prove Fault in a Bicycle Accident Claim
Below are some examples of how a party could be negligent in a bicycle accident. Our attorneys are very diligent in gathering as much evidence as possible to prove liability against the other side. Instances include:
- The bike is faulty or wasn’t appropriately repaired or designed
- The bike lane was not properly drawn
- The cyclist was biking on poor roads (could be the fault of the city)
- A crash with another cyclist or pedestrian
- The bicyclist was attacked by an animal
- The driver was aggressively driving with road rage
Even if a motor vehicle isn’t involved, if the accident is the fault of another party, you should speak with a bicycle accident attorney about your case.
What to Do if You are Injured in A Bicycle Accident
If you are in a bicycle accident in Los Angeles, you should take the following steps so that you are best equipped to get compensation:
- DO NOT LEAVE THE SCENE. Remain calm and check yourself for injuries.
- Call 911 to report the accident.
- Gather important information from the driver, like name, phone number, and insurance information. Also take down the information from witnesses. This is especially vital in instances of hit and run.
- Take photographs of the scene and all vehicles and bicycles involved in the accident.
- If you are injured, tell the police, and seek medical attention.
- Report the accident to the insurance company.
- Call an experienced personal injury lawyer.
If you or a loved one was biking in LA and was involved in an accident, you need an attorney that will fight for you and explore every channel for compensation. The Heidari Law Group have years of experience fighting for their clients and will help you get compensated either through trial or in many cases settlement. Call the Los Angeles Bicycle Accident lawyers at Heidari Law Group at 1-833-225-5454 for a free consultation and get the help you deserve.
What to Do After a Bicycle Accident
There are specific steps you should take immediately after a bicycle accident to preserve the chances of winning a case.
- Make sure that you’re safe. Get out of harm’s way (off the road) and check for injuries.
- Call 9-1-1 to get police and an ambulance on the scene. Even if you don’t think you need medical attention, it’s best to have a professional look at you. Your body releases an adrenaline surge after an accident that can delay feelings of pain. At the moment, you might not be aware of a severe injury.
- If your accident involves another party, exchange information with them and document this information as much as possible. Do not say statements that minimize your injuries (“I am okay”) or accept responsibility for the accident (“I should have been looking.”). Do not concede to attempts to negotiate with the other party. If the other person flees, take-down any information you can (license plate number, physical description, etc.).
- Once the police arrive on the scene, make sure you have a chance to report your version of the events to the officer. Having a police report to verify the accident helps your luck with a legal case afterward. Your bicycle accident attorney will be accessing this file if they believe you have a case.
- Even if you don’t go to the hospital after the accident, it’s essential to see a doctor shortly after. This doctor visit will help your legal case and any insurance claims.
- Keep records of anything related to your accident, including lost hours at work, medical bills and prescription costs, and non-economic damages.
- Never speak to the other party, their lawyer, or their insurance company.
- Consult with a bicycle accident lawyer to understand if you have a case.
Don’t be afraid to follow through these steps. It’s very important that you document everything when an accident occurs.
How a Bicycle Accident Lawyer Can Help
Our bicycle accident lawyers will review your case at our free no risk consultation let you know if you have an eligible case. You may seek compensation for a variety of damages, including:
- Economic damages: Medical bills, lost wage, and damaged property
- Non-economic damages: Pain, suffering, and lowered quality of life
- Punitive damages: if the driver was incredibly irresponsible, the judge might deem punitive damages to be justifiable. This is very rare in California.
Factors That Disqualify a Bicycle Accident Lawsuit
There are situations when your bicycle accident lawyer will tell you that you’re not eligible for compensation, such as:
- You (the cyclist) were biking intoxicated or under the influence of drugs
- You were at fault
- You weren’t wearing a helmet and your injuries could’ve been prevented with proper protective equipment
- You admitted fault
- You accepted compensation already from the other party, either through them, their lawyer, or their insurance company
Contact Los Angeles Heidari Law Group for Your Bicycle Attorney Needs
Heidari Law Group offers quality legal expertise for bicycle accidents in Los Angeles. We offer free consultations, are available 24/7, and don’t collect any fees until we win your case. We work on a contingency fee basis. Heidari Law Group specializes in bicycle accidents, so we know what a case needs to win. We have a history of winning for our bicycle accident victims. We successfully obtain settlements and judgment in our clients favor to ensure they focus on a process of safe healing after the accident.