Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys and Lawyers in Los Angeles
If you or a loved one have suffered a spinal cord injury in Los Angeles, contact our skilled spinal cord injury attorneys today for a free no risk consultation. During this consultation, we will review the merits of your case and determine the best legal steps to take to seek financial compensation for your injuries. Call us today to schedule a meeting.
Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys & Lawyers in Los Angeles
Each year, many people suffer from a severe back injury that ends up being a spinal cord injury (SCI). Some of these common spinal cord injuries occur from the following.
Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries in Los Angeles
Spinal cord injuries could result in lifelong effects. It could leave the victim injured and suffering emotional and physical pain for years. There are many different ways spinal cord injuries could occur. The most common causes of spinal cord injuries in Los Angeles are:
- Car accident
- Bicycle accidents
- Acts of violence (Fighting, Gunshot, etc.)
- Slip and Fall injury
- Falling from a ladder or up high
- Work-related injury
- Sports accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Sports injury or recreational activities, high impact
- Disease, such as cancer or arthritis
- Construction accidents
If you have been in any of the above accidents, or don’t know what the exact cause of your spinal cord injury is, contact our skilled Los Angeles spinal cord injury attorneys today to determine who could be responsible for your legal claim. During your free no risk consultation, we will identify the at-fault parties, and guide you step-by-step through every process of your spinal cord injury claim.
Since spinal cord injuries are potentially disabling and life-changing, it can impact the financial, social, and overall quality of your life. You should contact a personal injury attorney at the Heidari Law Group located in Los Angeles to review your case.
What is a spinal cord injury?
A spinal cord injury (SCI) involves any type of damage to the spine that runs from the bottom of the brain / central nervous system (CNS), through your cervical (neck), all the way down through your lumbar (lower back), and ends at the coccyx (tailbone) / near your pelvis. Spinal cord injuries are life-changing because they cause permanent damage to your nerves. This can negatively impact your feeling, sensation, strength, and parts of your body.
The spinal cord can be broken out into four sections:
- C1-C7 Cervical Vertebrae – Location is in the neck.
- T1-T12 Thoracic Vertebrae – Location is in the upper back, with attachments to the ribcage.
- L1-L5 Lumbar Vertebrae – Location is in the lower back.
- S1-S5 Sacral Vertebrae – Location is in the pelvis.
At the very end of the spinal cord is the coccyx, also known as the tailbone (below the sacrum).
If you have spinal cord damage from an injury, you might feel like your life is completely changed with crippling effects. This will also heavily impact your mental health, emotions, and social life. A spinal cord injury lawyer should be contacted to help you with your case.
Spinal Cord Injury Causes
According to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, the most common causes of spinal cord injuries are:
- 1% car accidents
- 7% slip and falls
- 1% acts of violence
- 6% sport accidents
Spinal Cord Injury Symptoms
A series of tests will need to be performed by your health care professional in order to determine the level of impact your spinal cord injury has on your body. Some of the spinal cord injury symptoms include the following.
- Extreme back pain
- Pressure on your head, neck, or back
- Loss of movement
- Losing the ability to feel
- Numbness or loss of feeling with tingling (Hands and Feet)
- Loss of bladder control or bowel control
- Reflex problems and spasms
- Difficulty breathing
- Problems with balance and walking
- Alteration of your senses
- General paralysis
It is important that you need medical attention immediately if you experience any of these symptoms in an accident. A spinal cord injury (SCI) is life-changing and should be attended to right away.
Why choose our Los Angeles spinal cord injury attorneys?
It could be very difficult when deciding which personal injury attorney to go with. It is very important to choose an experienced attorney.
- Our attorneys work to obtain maximum compensation for your injuries.
- Our firm has decades of experience representing spinal cord injury victims successfully
- Our spinal cord injury attorneys have experience dealing with injuries from several different accidents, such as car accidents, slip and fall, defective products, etc.
- Our firm is conveniently located in the heart of Los Angeles on Wilshire.
- Our Los Angeles attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, which means that you do not have to pay for our attorneys upfront unless we win compensation for you.
- Our attorneys have experience dealing and negotiating with insurance companies.
Establishing Liability for Spinal Cord Injuries
To successfully file a claim for spinal cord injuries, a successful spinal cord injury attorney must prove:
- The accident was caused by defendant’s negligence
- Defendant’s negligence caused injury
- Plaintiff suffered injuries
These elements could be very complex, especially if there are multiple parties, and so it requires the skill of an experienced attorney to protect your rights and pursue compensation for your injuries. Our Los Angeles attorneys work to hold defendant’s financially accountable for their negligence.
Who are the defendants in a spinal cord injury claim?
There could be many liable parties for your spinal cord injuries. That is why it is important to seek legal help immediately to determine the at fault parties to file a legal claim against them. Waiting too long could result in your legal claim potentially getting dismissed. Different defendants include:
- The driver of the vehicle if there was a car accident (for example, you could hold the driver liable if they were speeding, texting and driving, or drunk driving)
- If the person who caused the accident was employed, and acting on the job, then the company could be a potential defendant
- If the spinal cord injury was a result of a product defect, then the manufacturer and retailer of the products could be held liable
- Health care providers that caused the accident to the spinal cord (for example, a misdiagnosis or a surgery improperly performed)
- Property owners who might have created the situation for slip and fall accident that resulted in spinal cord injuries
What kind of damages could I recover from a spinal cord injury?
There are different damages a spinal cord injury victim could recover. This depends on a case by case basis. Our skilled Los Angeles attorneys give each spinal cord injury victim’s case individualized attention. Different types of damages a spinal cord injury victim could receive includes:
- Medical expenses (including surgery, treatment, medication, physical therapy, etc.)
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Lost income (past and future damages)
- Loss of consortium
Do I have a spinal cord injury case?
If you or a loved one has experienced a spinal cord injury as a result of someone else’s negligence, you may have a claim against them for the injuries suffered. It is important to identify exactly who is the cause of your damages in order to bring the claim against them. If you cannot identify anyone that is liable for your spinal cord injuries, then you most likely do not have a valid claim. Usually, during traumatic accidents, such as car accidents, it is easy to point to a liable party.
Spinal Cord Injuries in Los Angeles
There are several injuries associated with spinal cord injuries. Different medical injuries include:
- Skin sensations: an injured spinal cord will result in a loss of skin sensation
- Muscle tone: failing to use your spinal cord properly could result in weakened muscles, which leads to loss of control at the hands, feet, fingers, etc.
- Sexual function: spinal cord damage could lead to lack of sexual functions.
- Mental and emotional health: healing from spinal cord injuries could result in depression, anxiety, and PTSD.
- Loss of blood circulation: damage to your spinal cord could result in high blood pressure and poor blood circulation.
- Poor respiratory control: spinal cord damage could result in lung damage and respiratory control, weakening the muscles and making the body vulnerable to contract pneumonia.
Common Defenses to Spinal Cord Injuries
An experienced spinal cord injury attorney needs to prepare for any defenses that could potentially be raised by the defendant. Different defenses that the defendant could raise include:
- Contributory and comparative negligence: Los Angeles is in a jurisdiction that follows pure comparative negligence, which means that the plaintiff’s damages could be reduced if they are found to be somewhat liable for their injuries.
- Assumption of risk: if the spinal cord injury occurred while you were involved in a dangerous activity, such as skiing, the defendant could raise the defense of the assumption of risk to hold the plaintiff themselves liable for their injuries.
Contact a Los Angeles Attorney for a Spinal Cord Injury
Do you need a spinal cord injury attorney in Los Angeles?
If you have been injured in the Los Angeles area with a Spinal Cord Injury (SCI), you should contact a law firm to review your case. At Heidari Law Group, we have a highly experienced team of attorneys to help represent you and your case. Contact us today for a free case consultation.
We are conveniently located on Wilshire, in the heart of Los Angeles, and are available 24/7 via phone and email. Our clients are from surrounding cities including: Glendale, Burbank, Beverly Hills, Century City, Pasadena, Arcadia, Sierra Madre, Glendora, San Dimas, Silver Lake, West Hollywood, Long Beach, Inglewood, Hidden Hills, Whittier, Pomona, Norwalk, Lancaster, Santa Clarita, Montebello, San Gabriel, West Covina, East Los Angeles, El Monte, Manhattan Beach, Marina Del Rey, Cerritos, Alhambra, gardenia, Monterey Park, Lakewood, El Segundo, Commerce, Covina, Azusa, Rancho Palos Verdes, Baldwin Park, Rosemead, La Verne, etc.