Los Angeles Workplace Discrimination Attorneys
Our experienced Los Angeles discrimination lawyers represent employees who have been discriminated at work. Contact us today for a free consultation to discuss your claim.
There are federal, California and Los Angeles laws that address workplace discrimination. Despite all these different laws and statutes in place, many employers still choose not to follow these rules and discriminate against their employees. Discrimination makes all employees feel uncomfortable, and this should not be tolerated.
Our Los Angeles workplace discrimination attorneys represent employees who have suffered workplace misconduct, specifically unlawful discrimination at work. Employees who have suffered workplace discrimination in Los Angeles could seek a variety of damages, including compensation for lost pay, and emotional suffering.
We understand how difficult it can be financially and emotionally to go through workplace discrimination. If you or a loved one feel as though you have been discriminated against at work, contact our attorneys immediately for free case consultation. During this consultation, we will review your workplace discrimination claim, and see if it qualifies for compensation.
Our Los Angeles workplace discrimination attorneys are committed to investigating and litigating your employment discrimination claims to represent your rights. We believe that no employee should have to endure such traumatic experiences.
What are the protected classes in Los Angeles?
There are several different types of classes that are protected in Los Angeles. These protected classes include:
- National Origin
- Sexual orientation
- Marital status
If you have been discriminated against at work because you fall under the above protected classes, you may have a claim against your employer for workplace discrimination. Contact our attorneys today.
Examples of Workplace Discrimination in Los Angeles
Workplace discrimination can present itself in many ways. Below is a list of examples that could constitute a claim for workplace discrimination:
- Being demoted, having pay reduced, or job benefits lessened
- Being assigned to an unfavorable job assignment
- Being denied a promotion, career advancement, or pay increase
- Not being hired
- Failure to hire
- Being terminated or forced to quit
- Other discriminatory decisions that affect an employee’s conditions of employment
Effects of Racial and Ethnic Discrimination in Los Angeles
According to a study done by the Kaiser Foundation, one out of three African-American employees suffer racial discrimination at work. Racial discrimination can affect an employee emotionally, and caused a traumatic experience. Los Angeles has experienced one of the highest workplace discrimination instances compared to any other city in California. It could be very stressful when an employee is denied an opportunity at work simply because of their race or ethnicity. However, there is still hope because employees could have a claim against their employers for compensation for lost wages and emotional distress suffered.
Workplace Discrimination Laws in California
California has been very liberal in granting rights to employees. For example, there are several different statutes that protect employees from being discriminated against. For example, under the California Fair Employment and Housing Act, several traits are protected including age, color, ancestry, disability, gender, religion, marital status, military status, sex, sexual orientation, nationality, and genetics. Under California’s Fair Employment and Housing Act, employers are prohibited from discriminating against any employees who fit under a protected class.
What is considered discrimination?
It is important to note that an employee’s discrimination rights are attached as soon as the employee is hired. The common misconception is that workplace discrimination occurs once the employee is on the job and hired. But workplace discrimination could occur even during the interview process prior to accepting the employee. For example, an employer cannot offer a job to someone based on their specific characteristics. Further, an employer cannot retaliate against an employee who files a discrimination or a harassment claim against them. If this happen, you need to contact a workplace retaliation attorney.
What are the differences between discrimination and harassment?
Workplace harassment and discrimination are similar in many ways, but the key difference is that discrimination is targeted at someone who is a member of a protected class whereas harassment can happen to any employee regardless of membership in a protected class.
Types of Workplace Discrimination in Los Angeles
There are many different types of characteristics that are protected under the state, federal, and local laws. One of the most common types of workplace discrimination our attorneys have handled include, but are not limited to:
- Disability Discrimination: it is illegal to discriminate against a worker because of their disability, this includes both mental and physical disabilities. This is one of the most common types of discrimination at the workplace. When an employer treats a disabled employee worse or unfairly compared to non-disabled employees, this is a strong sign that workplace discrimination may be occurring and it would be a good idea to seek legal counsel on the matter.
- Age Discrimination: it is illegal to discriminate against the worker based on their age. Under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), all employees over the age of 40 are offered this type of protection.
- Gender or Sexual Orientation Discrimination: an employer is prohibited from discriminating against an employee because of their gender.
- Pregnancy Discrimination: an employer cannot discriminate against an employee was pregnant, has given birth, or is going on medical leave. This is also outlined under the Pregnancy Discrimination Act.
- Religion Discrimination: an employer is prohibited from discriminating against those who hold religious beliefs that may be different from others, or do not hold any religious beliefs at all.
- Marital Status Discrimination: an employer cannot treat an employee unfairly simply because they are or are not married.
- Racial Discrimination: This occurs when there is differential treatment because of the employees skin color or race. Contact our racial discrimination attorneys today if you have experienced this type of misconduct. This is one of the most common types of discrimination in Los Angeles. Examples of racial discrimination include:
- Not being hired because of your race
- Harassing comments because of your race
- Derogatory comments made to you because of your racial group
- Bad performance reviews because of your racial group
- Being subjected to racial slurs
- National Origin Discrimination: this type of discrimination occurs when there is differential treatment because of the individual’s country of origin. It is illegal for employers to discriminate against their employees based on their illegal immigrant status. If you have experienced any type of national origin discrimination, contact our attorneys today. Examples of national origin discrimination include:
- Not getting hired because of your immigration status
- Getting fired because of your immigration stop
- Not getting promoted because of your immigration status
- Getting made fun of for your accent
There are several other types of personal characteristics that are protected under federal and state laws. If you have suffered discrimination of any one of the categories above, contact our attorneys immediately to discuss your claims. If you have suffered another type of discrimination, reach out to us to determine what type of discrimination you may have suffered.
How do our attorneys prove workplace discrimination in Los Angeles?
There are certain elements that must be met in order to prove workplace discrimination. Employers will most likely fail to admit that there was any discriminatory motive in their actions. There are two different types of evidence we use to prove workplace discrimination. This includes:
- Indirect evidence: this type of evidence is used to show that the employer’s reason for treating the employee negatively is not true. For example, if the employee claims that they do not discriminate against the employee based on age, but there’s evidence that all the other employees working in the company are young and under the age of 35, you may have a claim for workplace age discrimination. Our experienced workplace discrimination attorneys work to show that there has been a pattern of discrimination with the employer.
- Direct evidence: this type of evidence are words or statements that have specifically come from the employer’s mouth. For example, this includes discriminatory emails that have been sent specifically to the employee or other employees.
Why should you hire our Los Angeles discrimination attorneys?
- Our attorneys provide upmost care and attention to each workplace discrimination case. Unlike other discrimination attorneys in Los Angeles, we keep our clients informed regarding every step of their legal process. We want to make sure that our clients make informed decisions, and are constantly aware regarding their case updates.
- We have long-standing relationships with Los Angeles workplace discrimination medical experts that could set the foundation for the pain and suffering you have gone through as a result of the traumatic discrimination experience.
- Our attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, which means that we only charge our clients if we win. Until we win a settlement or lawsuit in your favor, we will pay for all your legal costs upfront.
- Our attorneys are dedicated and have decades of experience representing workplace discrimination.
- Our attorneys have received several positive reviews regarding the legal services we have provided them. Our firm has top readings on Avvo and Lawyers.
- Our attorneys create a legal strategy to pursue your legal claim effectively and efficiently.
- Our attorneys investigate your claim to make sure you have strong evidence in your favor. Having strong evidence is key when filing a workplace discrimination lawsuit against an employer. Feeling to have strong evidence could potentially add the entire case dismissed.
- Our attorneys are available 24/7 via phone, email, or in person.
Emotional Distress in Los Angeles Workplace Discrimination Lawsuits
Emotional distress from discrimination, harassment, or wrongful termination at work could be very severe and have lasting effects. That’s why it is important to hire an attorney that has strong relationships with therapists and experts to maintain a legal basis to recover emotional distress damages. Plaintiffs will have to prove their emotional distress damages, and if they fail to prove it properly, they could risk having their entire case dismissed.
The experts must be able to explain how the plaintiff was injured by the harassment, what the plaintiff suffered as a result of the harassment, and how the damages amount explains the plaintiffs emotional distress.
How much do our Los Angeles workplace discrimination attorneys cost?
At Heidari Law, our Los Angeles workplace discrimination attorneys always work with compassion, and understand that could be very difficult for an employee to undergo such a traumatic experience like workplace discrimination. Workplace discrimination can take a heavy toll not only on your emotional being, but also financially. We understand that workplace discrimination could have you scattered trying to look for another job.
That is why our attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, which means that you do not have to pay for any attorneys fees upfront until we win compensation for you. Until we win a judgment or a settlement in your favor, you do not owe us anything. Under this contingency fee agreement, if we do not recover any monetary compensation in your favor, you will not have to pay anything for our legal services. We bear the risk while you focus on healing from your injuries.
If we win a judgment or settlement in your favor, we will deduct our firm’s service fees directly from the settlement or judgment award. The fee depends on the circumstances of your case. For more information, contact our Los Angeles attorneys today.
Do I need a workplace discrimination attorney?
It could be very difficult representing a workplace discrimination claim alone. For example, the employer’s attorney will constantly contact you, trying to get a statement out of you that could potentially work against you. You may recover less damages when you take on the claim alone. If you were to hire a discrimination attorney, we will take care of the legal process, along with communicating with the other side, while you focus on healing from the emotional distress you’ve suffered.
It could be very difficult to navigate through the legal process alone, especially through the Los Angeles Superior Court. During your free no risk consultation, our top rated attorneys will go over the pros and cons of hiring an attorney for your claim.
Los Angeles and Asian discrimination
Recently, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, Asian discrimination in the workplace has seen an upward trend. Many hate crimes have been directed toward Asians in Los Angeles following the Covid-19 pandemic. If you have suffered any workplace discrimination because you are Asian, contact our Los Angeles attorneys immediately.
Americans with Disabilities Act
The Americans with Disabilities Act mandates employers to provide reasonable accommodations to employees who have disabling conditions. Disabled employees have the same rights as other employees. If you have suffered word for discrimination from requesting disability accommodations, contact our attorneys today.
Several Los Angeles housing statutes prohibit landlords from discriminating against potential tenants. This includes leasing, renting, sales, mortgage, and advertising. If you have suffered housing discrimination, contact our attorneys today to determine whether you have a claim against your landlord.
Unruh Act in Los Angeles
Under the Unruh Act, residents in Los Angeles are protected from discrimination from businesses in California. Los Angeles residents are protected from discrimination based on sex, race, gender, color, national origin, mental and physical disability, age, and religion. If you have experienced discrimination from a business located in California, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact our attorneys today for free no risk consultation.
Los Angeles Hate Crimes
In 2020, Los Angeles hate crimes were 20% higher than the previous year. The majority of those hate crimes had bias against race, ethnicity, and ancestry. Bias against sexual orientation was the second most common motivation for hate crimes in Los Angeles. The third most common motivation for hate crimes towards religious groups. The majority of these hate crimes were against specific persons rather than personal property. If you have been a victim of a hate crime in Los Angeles, contact our attorneys today.
Contact our Los Angeles Workplace Discrimination Attorney Today
Contact our Los Angeles discrimination lawyers today to discuss what you may be entitled to as a compensation for the discrimination suffered at the workplace. During your no risk consultation, we will discuss what type of compensation you are entitled to and what type of discrimination you have faced. Our skilled attorneys have experience representing employees who have suffered unlawful discrimination on the job for decades. Different types of damages we can assert include lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages depending on your claim.
If you think you’ve faced discrimination at your job in Los Angeles, then give us a call at 1-833-225-5454 for a free case evaluation from a reputable attorney. Contact us at Heidari Law Group today to schedule a consultation or get more information.
Heidari Law Group Sacramento Practice Areas
- Sacramento Personal Injury Attorneys
- Sacramento Assault and Battery Lawyers
- Sacramento Slip and Fall Attorneys
- Sacramento Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers
- Sacramento Traumatic Brain Injury Attorneys
- Sacramento Wrongful Death Lawyers
- Sacramento Dog Bite Attorneys
- Sacramento DUI & Drunk Driver Crash Lawyers
- Sacramento Workers' Compensation Attorneys
- Sacramento Persian Attorneys & Iranian Lawyers
- Sacramento Car Accident Attorneys
- Sacramento Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
- Sacramento Bike Accident Attorneys
- Sacramento Truck Accident Lawyers
- Sacramento Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
- Sacramento Bus Accident Lawyers
- Sacramento Ride Share Accident Attorneys
- Sacramento Uber & Lyft Accident Lawyers
- Sacramento Electric Scooter Accident Attorneys