Los Angeles Racial and Ethnic Discrimination Lawyers
Our top Los Angeles discrimination lawyers fight for the rights of people who have been a victim of racial discrimination in the workplace. If you have suffered racial bias, contact our attorney today for a free no risk consultation.
California, even though is considered to be a very progressive state, still has several instances of racial discrimination, especially in the workplace. According to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, there were several racial discrimination complaints received in the state of California.
Racial discrimination occurs when an employee is judged because of their race and / or their ethnicity. Our Los Angeles ethnicity and racial attorneys are here to assist you for any claims you have against your employer. If you have been a victim of racial discrimination at work, you could hold your employer liable for any compensation. Our Los Angeles attorneys have decades of experience, and are well-versed in both Los Angeles and California employment laws to make sure that you receive maximum compensation for your injuries.
Our compassionate attorneys understand that it could be a very traumatic experience to face when being discriminated against at work. Our attorneys are on your side every step of the way to hold the at fault parties liable, and to seek the Justice you deserve. Our aggressive attorneys have decades of experience litigating racial discrimination claims for our clients.
Racial discrimination in the workplace could have several effects, financially and emotionally. Racial discrimination is a very substantial social concern, especially in the city of Los Angeles with the recent spark in hate crimes. Title 7 of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 protects individuals from discrimination. The California Fair Employment and Housing Act provides an additional layer of protection for residents in California who have been discriminated against.
If your employer starts treating you differently because you have filed a claim against them for racial discrimination, you may have a claim against them for workplace retaliation.
If you or a loved one have suffered unlawful racial discrimination by your employer, contact our Los Angeles employment attorneys as soon as possible to determine whether you have a claim against your employer.
What is racial discrimination in Los Angeles?
Racial discrimination is considered unethical and illegal in California. This occurs when an employee is treated unfairly by their employer due to their race.
Examples of racial discrimination in Los Angeles:
- When your hours are reduced
- When you are terminated
- When you are not hired
- When you are never promoted
- When your employer fails to hire job applicants that belong to a specific ethnicity
- When your employer says derogatory comments or racial slurs
- When your hours are reduced
- When you have been excluded from group work events
- When your employer harasses you
- When your employer misclassifies you as a different type of employee
How do you prove racial discrimination in Los Angeles?
There are a variety of elements that a Los Angeles racial discrimination attorney must have to prove in their racial discrimination claim. The plaintiff, also known as the victim of the racial discrimination, must have to prove:
- They were a member of a protected class
- The plaintiff was qualified for the job
- The plaintiff suffered some type of adverse treatment from the employer (such as being fired, or being demoted)
- The employer’s adverse action was because of the plaintiff’s race
- The employer does not have a non-discriminatory explanation for their actions
Racial Discrimination In Employment
Racial discrimination could occur at any point of employment in Los Angeles. Examples include:
- During the hiring process
- When the employee is being trained
- When the employee is an intern
- When the employee is misclassified
- When determining the employees wage and benefits
- When the employee is being disciplined
- When the employee is being terminated
- When the employer is recruiting for new candidate
- During the interview process
- When the employee is demoted
- When the employee is never promoted
- When the employee is denied any advancements
Racial Discrimination In Los Angeles Housing
Under California’s Fair Employment and Housing Act, it is unlawful for a landlord to discriminate and housing based on a person’s race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, such as orientation, marital status, ancestry, national origin, source of income, familial status, disability, or genetic information of a person. This rule applies to landlords, realtors, and property managers.
If you have been a victim of racial discrimination when trying to rent a home or apartment, contact our Los Angeles racial discrimination attorney. No one should have their rights violated by a landlord. If you have been a victim of racial discrimination, you could file a claim with the LACDA (Los Angeles County Development Authority) regarding the discriminatory incident that took place.
What should I do if I have been a victim of racial discrimination in Los Angeles?
We advise that Los Angeles employees take a variety of steps if they have been a victim of racial discrimination in the workplace.
- Gather as much evidence as possible regarding the circumstances of the discriminatory incident. It is very important that you have strong evidence when filing a racial discrimination claim. For example, many important documents that our Los Angeles racial discrimination employees will need is your employment contract, the company policy, information about the discriminatory incident, and information of any Witnesses who may have seen the incident. Our Los Angeles attorneys will make sure that you have strong evidence in your favor to find the employer liable for your discrimination lawsuit.
- Talk to the Human Resources department at your workplace. Before filing a complaint or a civil claim against your employer, you should talk to the Human Resources department about any racial discrimination you have faced in the workplace. It is important that you be as honest and detailed as possible in order for the Human Resources department to handle your case. However, oftentimes, we have seen that the Human Resources department may not make impactful decisions since the person who made the discriminatory comment had a high position in the company.
- Filing complaints with the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. If your Human Resources department was not able to resolve the issue, the best step to take is to file a claim with the federal departments. If you are located in Los Angeles, you could also file this complaint with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing. These two departments will investigate your claim and look into your discriminatory incident to determine whether you have a valid claim.
- Hire an experienced Los Angeles racial discrimination attorney. Our top rated employment attorneys have decades of experience representing victims of racial discrimination in Los Angeles. Our attorneys will assist you in filing racial discrimination claims with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, along with filing a private claim against your employer. Our top rated attorneys will also communicate and negotiate with the at-fault party to determine the amount of damages you could receive.
Contact our Los Angeles race discrimination attorneys free free no risk consultation. During the no risk consultation, we will review your claim and determine what type of damages you could potentially receive for the discriminatory incident. We understand that it can be very difficult to get through such a traumatic experience, and we are here on your side every step of the way.
Heidari Law Group Irvine Practice Areas
- Irvine Personal Injury Attorneys
- Irvine Assault and Battery Lawyers
- Irvine Slip and Fall Attorneys
- Irvine Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers
- Irvine Traumatic Brain Injury Attorneys
- Irvine Wrongful Death Lawyers
- Irvine Dog Bite Injury Attorneys
- Irvine DUI & Drunk Driver Crash Lawyers
- Irvine Workers' Compensation Attorneys
- Irvine Persian Attorneys & Iranian Lawyers
Car Accident Lawyers
- Irvine Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
- Irvine Bike Accident Lawyers
- Irvine Truck Accident Attorneys
- Irvine Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
- Irvine Bus Accident Attorneys
- Irvine Ride Share Accident Lawyers
- Irvine Uber & Lyft Accident Attorneys
- Irvine Electric Scooter Accident Lawyers