Los Angeles Civil Rights Litigation Attorneys
If you or a loved one have been a victim of police misconduct in Los Angeles, trust our experienced Los Angeles police misconduct attorneys for assistance navigating through your legal claims. Contact us for free initial consultation.
Ride Share Accident
Motor Vehicle Accident
Trip and Fall Accident
Ride Share Accident
Motor Vehicle Accident
Trip and Fall Accident
Motor Vehicle Accident
Los Angeles Police Brutality Attorneys
Police officers have a duty to protect the community at large. Therefore, they have to build a relationship of trust between Los Angeles residents. However, sometimes, use of force by the Los Angeles Police Department could be very excessive and result in severe injuries, oftentimes even death.
Los Angeles Police Brutality Statistics
- Police have killed 951 people in Los Angeles County since 2000. 80% of those killed were African American or Latino, and 97% were shot to death.
- Men between the ages of 20 and 39 years old account for the majority of the deaths in Los Angeles.
- African Americans make up less than 10% of Los Angeles County’s population, yet represent 24% of killings by law enforcement agencies in Los Angeles.
- The majority of deaths by law enforcement have occurred in cities where there are large numbers of African-Americans and Latino residents, for example in Compton and Long Beach.
Police Use of Force in Los Angeles County
According to the California Attorney General, there are several different options police use, this includes:
- Hit shooting
- Physical contact
- Control holds
- Electronic control devices such as tasers
- Impact weapon
- Impact projectiles
- Restraint control hold
- K9 contact
- Not hit shooting
- Chemical spray
- Threat of firearm
- Vehicle contact
Police brutality is a common abuse of civil rights. Officers are constantly exposed to situations of life and death that involve high stress, and often excessive force is used in situations where the resolution did not require it. Our team has fought the injustice of police misconduct in California for decades.
Types of police brutality cases we have experience with:
- Police shootings: this occurs when officers negligently use the gun against the victim, and unfortunately results in death. This is a very controversial topic, and the use of a gun depends on the circumstances of the encounter. For example, the police officer could only use deadly force if they have a reasonable belief that the victim was going to use deadly force. If the police shooting results in the victim passing away, the victim’s family members may have a claim against the police department for wrongful death.
- Use of unreasonably excessive force
- False arrests: this occurs when police officers take an individual into custody, only to realize that the individual was the wrong person. This could cause severe psychological problems to the victim, and the victim may have a valid claim against the police department for emotional distress.
- Misuse of pepper spray, tasers, or stun guns: the police should not have to use excessive force and violate an individual’s civil rights through the misuse of weapons. Officers should only use the same amount of force that they believe the victim will be using.
- Use of attack dogs in unwarranted situations: this occurs when police dogs are used in an improper way, and in areas that should not be used. Very severe injuries could result from a police dog bite.
- Sexual assault: this occurs when police officers verbally or physically violate the victim’s rights through sexual harassment. This could be a very traumatic experience to the victim, and can result in very severe emotional and physical injuries.
If you have experienced any of the above types of police brutality or misconduct, contact our attorneys today to see how we can represent your rights. Our attorneys are driven in making sure that you received compensation for the police officers unjust action.
Illegal searches and seizures
The most common constitutional violations by police officers are when they conduct illegal searches and seizures. The police do not have a right to intervene where someone has a reasonable expectation of privacy without a warrant. The police also do not have a right to unlawfully detain someone for a long time without a warrant. Instances of police misconduct include:
- Arrests: police do not have the ability to make an arrest unless they have probable cause. Police have the right to make an arrest in public, and in a person’s home if they have a warrant.
- Detentions: police have the right to conduct brief vehicle stops if they have reasonable suspicion. Police also have the right to conduct a stop-and-frisk, which is a pat-down for any weapons.
- Instances where seizures could be unlawful are when:
- There was no probable cause for the arrest
- The detention was longer than reasonable
- There was no arrest warrant
- The arrest warrant was false
- Excessive force was used
- Racial profiling in Los Angeles
- Police can also commit misconduct when they racially profile. Police cannot stop someone unless they have reasonable suspicion. The reasonable suspicion cannot be based on someone’s race alone, there has to be an external factor.
Wrongful death is a legal claim the decedent’s family could bring against the police officer for police misconduct. Wrongful death occurs when the victim dies while in the custody of police officers. When making a claim for wrongful death in Los Angeles, family members could recover burial costs and loss of wages.
What should I do if I have been a victim of police brutality?
If you have been a victim of police brutality in Los Angeles, there are a variety of steps you must take in order to seek compensation for your injuries. This includes:
- Seek medical attention immediately: even if you think that the injuries you have suffered are only minor, you must still receive medical treatment to determine what kind of injuries you suffered if you are to file a claim for personal injury. For example, visiting a medical provider will allow you to receive test results, and diagnostics regarding what injuries you have specifically suffered, and what treatments you may need. Also, your injuries may appear minor, but may have a lasting severe consequence. For example, a simple headache or a migraine could be indicative of a traumatic brain injury. It is important that you seek medical attention.
- Document as much evidence as possible: you should gather any witness contact information since they may potentially be able to testify in court, along with any camera recordings. Usually, nowadays many businesses have cameras in front of their stores pointed towards the street. If the incident occurred on city streets, look to see if there are any businesses nearby that have cameras. Having cameras could make your claim even stronger. Sometimes, officers usually have a camera on their chest that records the entire incident. Currently, the Los Angeles Police Department is also enforcing that all police officers wear a body cam at all times to make sure there is sufficient transparency between police officers and the public. An experienced civil rights litigation attorney will be able to assert your rights and get access to the footage by several different legal strategies.
- Hire an experienced police misconduct brutality attorney: police misconduct lawsuits could be complex, especially if there are several different parties involved. If you have been a victim of police misconduct in Los Angeles, contact our top rated civil rights litigation attorneys today to have your rights patiently represented. Our experienced civil rights attorneys will work to make sure that you get the compensation you deserve. Our attorneys have decades of experience representing victims of police misconduct, contact our office today.
Contact Our Los Angeles Police Misconduct Attorneys Today
Police misconduct could result in a violation of someone’s constitutional rights. Our civil rights attorneys are here and ready to fight for your rights. We have resources and relationships with top Los Angeles Attorney experts to assert civil rights violations against police officers for police misconduct.
If you or a loved one has been injured by a police officer, contact our Los Angeles police misconduct attorneys for a free no risk consultation.
Get in touch with a Los Angeles police brutality lawyer at Heidari Law Group today. Give us a call at (213) 884-4881 or send us an email at info@HeidariLawGroup.com. If you are looking for a police misconduct attorney, we can also help consult with you on your case.
- Los Angeles Accident Attorneys
- Los Angeles Personal Injury Lawyers
- Assault and Battery Attorney
- Los Angeles Broken Bone Injury Attorneys
- Burn Injury Attorneys
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Attorney
- Catastrophic Injury Attorneys
- Construction Accident Lawyers
- Dog Bite Injury Attorneys
- Head Injury Attorney
- Nerve Damage Attorney
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Product Liability Attorneys
- Los Angeles Sexual Assault Injuries
- Slip and Fall Attorney in Los Angeles
- Los Angeles Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys
- Los Angeles Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyers
- Los Angeles Employment Law Attorneys
- Age Discrimination Lawyers
- Disability Discrimination Attorneys
- Gender Discrimination Lawyers
- LGBTQ Discrimination Attorneys
- Pregnancy Discrimination Lawyers
- Racial and Ethnic Discrimination Lawyers
- Wage & Hour Dispute Attorneys in Los Angeles
- Whistleblower Protection Lawyer
- Workers’ Compensation Attorney
- Workplace Discrimination Attorneys
- Workplace Harassment Lawyer
- Workplace Retaliation Lawyer
- Wrongful Termination Attorneys
- Los Angeles Bad Faith Insurance Lawyers
- Los Angeles Civil Rights Litigation Attorneys
- Medical Malpractice Attorney
- Data Privacy Attorneys
- Negligent Security Lawyers
- Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse Attorney
- Wrongful Death Attorney in Los Angeles
- Iranian Lawyers & Persian Attorneys in Los Angeles
Amazing Car Accident Lawyer
“Saman is by far true to his word. He truly was available at all times and always kept me updated. In the end, he settled my case with a great results. He didn’t treat me like a file, he treated me as if he was representing family. If you are looking for open, fast, thorough and a detailed lawyer, look no further. I will definitely recommend him to anyone seeking legal services who wants to feel assured that they are in the best hands.”
“I was injured in a car accident. The lawyer made sure that I went to my chiropractor sessions and that I get the medical attention needed. I also got MRI’s as needed and also got back injections as needed. He was very persistent on contacting me, even when I wasn’t reachable, and making sure that I got treated right and paid a good amount at the end. He is a very respectful person and great lawyer.”
An Extraordinary Experience
“Thank you for your unwavering commitment to my case. Words do not adequately describe my feelings, when no one seemed to care about an old vet with an injury you were there. I can remember as clearly as though it were yesterday, your sincerity and desire to help me. For that, I will always be grateful. Your endless commitment of time, financial resources and a personal concern for my physical well being surpassed anything I could have expected or imagined.”
- No related articles found.
24/7 Free Case Evaluation
Los Angeles Office3530 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 710 Los Angeles, CA 90010 Tel: 213-884-4881
Irvine Office17875 Von Karman Ave. Suite 150 & 250 Irvine, CA 92614 Tel: 949-239-1020
Sacramento Office180 Promenade Cir Ste 300 Sacramento, CA 95834 Tel: 916-461-1818
Bakersfield Office3501 Mall View Rd Suite 105 Bakersfield, CA 93306 Tel: 661-409-0000