Car Accident Lawyer in Las Vegas
We defend your right to receive compensation for auto accident injuries both inside and outside the courtroom. Get a free case evaluation from an experienced Las Vegas car accident attorney at Heidari Law Group today.
Every year in the United States, there are around 6 million car accidents, accounting for 3 million injuries. Distracted driving is the leading cause of accidents, so it’s vital to call an auto accident attorney after a crash.
What to Do After a Car Accident in Las Vegas
Before you worry about calling a lawyer or exchanging information with other drivers, consider your safety first.
- Are you in a safe spot? Can you pull your car over to the side of the road? The most vital thing to do first is to turn on your hazard lights, move your car if you can, and make sure you’re out of harm’s way.
- Second, get help. Are you injured? If you’re in doubt at all, call an ambulance. If you think it can wait, go directly to the doctor after you’ve waited for the police and exchanged the necessary information.
- Whether it was a minor fender bender or a big collision, call the police too. A police report can be a vital piece of information in the claims process. It also helps establish who is at fault.
- Gather as much information as you can, including:
- Driver and passenger names and contact information
- Vehicle descriptions
- Driver’s license numbers
- License plate numbers
- Insurance companies and policy numbers
- Eyewitness names and contact information
- Accident scene location and details
- Police officer’s badge number and name
Take as many photos as you can of all vehicles and property involved in the accident. Likewise, take photos of any injuries. Be cordial, but don’t admit fault, even if you think you might be partially responsible for the accident.
Auto Accident Lawyers in Las Vegas FAQs
When Should I Get a Lawyer After an Auto Accident?
With an auto accident comes a host of questions – Who is at fault? Who’ll pay for the medical bills and damage to the car? Will insurance reimburse me for lost wages?
The world of insurance claims and settlements can be confusing. Taking on this challenge on your own is not wise either. After all, the insurance company lawyers will always do what they can to minimize financial exposure.
Hiring a Las Vegas personal injury attorney as soon as possible ensures that you will get answers to your legal questions. You will have someone fighting for your best interests and pursuing the maximum compensation. Call us immediately if you’ve been in a car accident and:
- You suffered injuries and/or significant damage to your car
- It’s possible or obvious that someone else’s actions played a role in causing the accident
- The other driver’s insurance carrier has offered you a low settlement
- A loved one passed away due to injuries caused by the accident
- You sustained severe and permanent injuries during the accident
- Your accident was due to the negligence of a government agency
- You have lost your loved in an accident (wrongful death)
How Do I Settle an Auto Accident Claim Without a Lawyer?
Before you start negotiating a settlement, evaluate the extent of your damages. Don’t just focus on the physical injuries and damage to your car. What expenses have you incurred since the accident?
Everything from medical bills to lost income as a result of missing work and future damages should be noted.
Craft your demand letter detailing the extent of your injuries and losses. Use actual numbers as much as possible. Once the insurance company submits a counteroffer, either accept it or keep negotiating. Try to settle the claim outside the court to save time, money, and the expense of having to hire an attorney.
If you decide to proceed to court, research the settlements of other drivers with a similar case received in previous lawsuits. Keep in mind that if you lose, you’ll have to pay the other driver’s lawyer fees.
More importantly, understand that representing yourself isn’t always the best option. Car accident lawyers have extensive experience navigating the settlement process and will get you a higher amount more quickly.
Can I Change My Car Accident Lawyer?
Yes, you can switch your injury attorney in the middle of a case. The realization that you hired the wrong lawyer often sets in 2-3 weeks after the accident, and your case isn’t progressing. It’s time to get a better Las Vegas auto accident lawyer if:
- The lawyer isn’t returning your calls
- Your case isn’t progressing
- The lawyer keeps pressuring you to accept a low settlement
- You don’t trust your lawyer
- Your lawyer isn’t interested in explaining the legal proceedings
- Your lawyer’s strategy doesn’t make sense
Unless there is an offer from the other driver’s insurance carrier, firing your accident lawyer is quite easy. You won’t be billed and are entitled to your complete file. The lawyer who takes over will have to pay the original attorney’s lien. This won’t come out of your pocket.
Changing your lawyer in the middle of a personal injury claim won’t hurt your case – it will only help it.
If you retain a car accident lawyer at Heidari Law Group, we will pay any money your former attorney is owed. You won’t have to pay a dime unless we win your case, and we’ll get you and your family the compensation you deserve.
What Happens If You Lose a Car Accident Lawsuit?
A small percentage of claim cases go to trial and lose. Some can’t even go to trial because of a problem with the case that’s too big to deal with or a lack of witnesses. Whatever the reason, you can expect the following if you lose an auto accident lawsuit.
You may have to take the compensation offered if you’re the plaintiff. This may happen if the jury finds that you’re partially responsible for the accident. If you are the defendant, you may have to pay the compensation out of your pocket. If you don’t have cash for the settlement, the sheriff may auction your assets. If you don’t have cash or assets, any future asset or income will be garnished until the debt is paid off.
There are some steps you can take to prevent a legal defeat. For starters, enlist the help of an experienced auto accident lawyer in Las Vegas. You should also avoid giving false statements or sharing case details with the opposition. Gather photographic evidence of the accident and visit the doctor for appropriate treatment of the injuries suffered. Last but not least, don’t talk about the accident on social media.
How Long Does a Car Accident Lawsuit Take?
There is no way to predict how long a personal injury will take to get resolved. It could take a few months or years, with the possibility of a settlement. Very few cases result in litigation. The biggest factor in these cases is the severity of injuries suffered and the treatment needed. The case will be settled quickly if you suffered minor injuries. On the other hand, it could take years to settle a case where the injuries were severe and required extensive treatment.
But that’s not the only factor at play. The litigation process is different for each case. However, the following timeline of an auto accident claim and the lawsuit should give you an idea of how long things can take.
- Get medical treatment
- Choose your Las Vegas personal injury attorney
- Your lawyer begins the investigation
- Demands and negotiations – the majority of cases are settled at this stage
- Your lawyer files a lawsuit
- Discovery phase
- Mediation and negotiations
As you can see, there are a variety of factors that affect how long your personal injury case will last.
One of the best ways to ensure that your case is settled as soon as possible is to hire an experienced lawyer. We put your case on the right track from the start and fight insurance companies for fair compensation, shortening the time to settlement.
Heidari Law Group Las Vegas Practice Areas
- Las Vegas Personal Injury Lawyers
- Las Vegas Assault and Battery Attorneys
- Las Vegas Slip and Fall Lawyers
- Las Vegas Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys
- Las Vegas Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyers
- Las Vegas Wrongful Death Attorneys
- Las Vegas Dog Bites Lawyers
- Las Vegas DUI & Drunk Driver Crashes Attorneys
- Las Vegas Workers' Compensation Attorneys
- Las Vegas Persian Attorneys & Iranian Lawyers